Question CPU/GPU running hot when playing video games

Sep 18, 2019
i recently got this new pc i built for about a month. and i have noticed that the temperature of my cpu and gpu runs very hot when i am playing video games. my cpu would be around 80~90 and my gpu would be around 80~85. the temperature would go down if i leave the side panels off but i feel like this is just a temporary solution. what are things that i can do to help the cooling of my computer i am suspecting maybe a better case /aio cooler but i am no expert at this field so i was wondering if you guys have any solution to my problem

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hPxBsZ
-i9-9900k
-be quiet! darkrock pro
-Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E
-corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4-3200
-samsung 970 Evo 1TB m.2-2280 NVME
-Asus GeForce RTX 2080 TI 11 GB
-NZXT H500
-Corsair RMx 850 W

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Any overclocks?

Those are both some high power parts in there, so good case cooling is a must.
It's been proven that cases with psu shrouds impact gpu temperatures by reducing airflow coming from the front and bottom of the case.
The fans are set up as 2x intake - 2x exhaust? 100% fan rpm doesn't help temps?

A case with more emphasis on airflow may help, or consider mounting an AIO on either the gpu or cpu.
The 2080Ti's throttle temp is 84C, and 90C is not a range you want to be running the 9900k on a regular basis.

1)A new case would likely be your cheapest option if you want to stay the air cooling route.

2)Another option, but more costly is if you were to mount NZXT's custom AIO, the Kraken G12 + Kraken X52/X62 on the 2080Ti - it won't be dumping most of it's heat into the case and also warming up the cpu, thus both would run cooler.

3)Or mount a 280mm AIO on the 9900k, but that only benefits the cpu here. The gpu would still be running toasty.

Sep 18, 2019
there are no overclocks on the computer, i am unfamiliar with how to set 100% fan rpm i would like to try that as a solution. but if that doesn't work is there any case that you recommend ? and what about the x72

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
the temperature would go down if i leave the side panels off but i feel like this is just a temporary solution

You mention cooler temps if the side panels are off...what are those temps when doing so? What if you were to leave the side panels off and orient a house or desk fan to blow on the PC during load? Can you post those temps? This is a rather important test.

The reason I mention this is to determine one very important thing: how good or how poor your case airflow is. You can have the best cooler in the world but it cannot cool your system if there is bad airflow. This is a simple fact. Please run those tests and let's see what temps you are getting for both CPU and GPU.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
sounds like you need more air flow in your case, crank up the fan speeds if you can.

This depends on what fans you are speaking of. If they are the CPU and GPU fans and the case does not have good airflow, this simply moves the same hot air around the interior of the chassis. Without fresh, ambient air from outside the case, you can have full watercooling, dozens of fans and great configuration, but still continue to overheat.

All the heat being generated has to go SOMEWHERE...that somewhere is outside of the case.

Sep 18, 2019
sorry for the late response but the temperture goes down to 60 after a couple of minutes taking off the side panel
J6Vu8wA.png

also when i say temporary solution i meant that the temperature never goes back up to 90+

NZXT - H500 Series ATX/Mini-ITX/MicroATX Mid-Tower Case - Matte Black
Model:CA-H500B-B1
SKU:6284700

i bought this thing from best buy

Last edited:

Diddly

Distinguished
This depends on what fans you are speaking of. If they are the CPU and GPU fans and the case does not have good airflow, this simply moves the same hot air around the interior of the chassis. Without fresh, ambient air from outside the case, you can have full watercooling, dozens of fans and great configuration, but still continue to overheat.

All the heat being generated has to go SOMEWHERE...that somewhere is outside of the case.
It should be obvious I was meaning Case fans ;)