Question CPU & GPU spikes after Win10 installation with i5-2500 CPU

Sep 8, 2020
Hello everybody,

What have I changed?
Due to the discontinued support of Win7 I decided to rebuild my computer, replace the old 120 GB SSD disk (ADATA 2.5'' SATA 6GB/s 500 Series S510, 120 GB) and save Win10 (Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit)) to a USB stick via the Windows 10 Update Assistant and then install it on a brand new 1 TB SSD disk (1000GB Crucial MX500 2.5" (6.4cm) SATA 6Gb/s 3D-NAND TLC CT1000MX500SSD1)). In the course of this, I also replaced my old Corsair CMP8GX3M2B1333C9 RAM bars with new Corsair CMV16GX3M2A1333C9 bars and upgraded them to 16Gb.
The rest of the unchanged hardware is:
  • Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Mainboard,
  • Intel® Core™ i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz,
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570

After installing Win10 I installed my calculation/display programs for work like MatLab2020, OriginPro2018, MicrosoftOffice and AdobeReader as well as leisure programs like Twitch, Discord and the game World of Warcraft.

Problem:
Unfortunately the PC is now running significantly worse than before.
RAM usage is much higher and even worse is that I have peaks in the CPU and GPU workload (more rarely in the ethernet) all the time, then the Display turns black for a short time, everything stops and continues 4-5 seconds later. Shortly before that, the load falls far down and then goes up to 100%. In some programs I can cause this consciously. For example in the game World of Warcraft when I just want to make a movement. It still works if I only use Firefox, but games or display programs that were running nicely before will bring the PC to its knees now.

What have I already tried:
I have already tried updating the drivers. I tried both the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant and DriverFix as helper programs and both said that all drivers were up-to-date.
I also tested the temperature of CPU and GPU with CPU-Z and GPU-Z and I think they are not too high.
I also tried to install the old RAM bars again, but I was able to cause the same problem error 3 times in a row.
I just read that my CPU "i5-2500" Codename "Sandy Bridge" does not support Win10, however, in this Forum it is written that this is not really true (https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/i5-2500-compatible-with-windows-10.3018860/). Are there any new information or something I could do to run win10 execpt buying all new hardware?

A BIOS Issue is mentioned but I have no idea how to tackle that. I never changed anything in the BIOS yet.

Many thanks to all

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your PSU and it's age? What about the case(make and model) it's in and the airflow in said case(ambient room air temps)? Which BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? You're advised to install all drivers manually for your platform.

Install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator and if the drivers don't have Windows 10 support, you can install them in compatibility mode, i.e, Right click installer>Compatibility tab>Windows X(drop down menu) and check the Run as Administrator option.

Sep 8, 2020
Thanks for your fast anwser!

My case is a Antec "Three Hundred Midi Tower" with a new ARCTIC F14 and a new F12 PWM PST Case Fan. The PSU is a "Super-Flower SF650P14XE Golden Green Pro 80plus gold"
The BIOS Version from the cmd command "wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion " gets me:
"SMBIOSBIOSVersion FB"

EDIT: I Upgraded the BIOS to FD. --> Did not help

I will now try to reinstall all drivers as you described and give feedback with the results.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020
Unfortunately, installing the drivers from the original driver CD using the Right click installer>Compatibility tab>Windows 7 did not solve the problem.