CPU/GPU stuttering, unplayable games

fatal101st

Prominent
Aug 10, 2017
CPU/GPU stutter. Games will either crash or drop frames (350-400 down to 20-30 then back up) I've tried everything from BIOS update of the CPU and GPU to overclocking the GPU to reinstalling drivers. I don't know what the issue is, my PC was fine literally a week ago.

Z170A Pro Carbon
Intel i7-6700k 4.00GHZ
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 Armor 8GB
RAM Corsair 16GB DDR4 (2x 8GB sticks)
PSU Corsair CX750M

Solution
You don't mention temperatures. This would be something to verify for performance issues. What sort of observations did you get from something like MSI Afterburner? Those can be helpful for identifying possible issues while playing games.

Crashes can be due to the game coding itself or possibly corrupt files. Try verifying game cache or similar.

Those are typical starting points. Others may have additional suggestions.
You don't mention temperatures. This would be something to verify for performance issues. What sort of observations did you get from something like MSI Afterburner? Those can be helpful for identifying possible issues while playing games.

Crashes can be due to the game coding itself or possibly corrupt files. Try verifying game cache or similar.

Those are typical starting points. Others may have additional suggestions.

Solution

Mondo_1

Commendable
Aug 11, 2017

If you let us know the temps that could be a good starting point.
What games are you playing?
Overclocking the GPU how far did you go?
Reinstalling drivers, did you wipe the previous ones?

I'd try this;
Uninstall GPU drivers with - http://www.guru3d.com/content-page/guru3d-driver-sweeper.html
Once you've uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them do another restart for good measure.

Once booted back up let idle for a bit then check CPU/GPU temps and note them down.
Go in to Nvidia settings (Global) and turn off Vertical Sync/ aim for performance for the time being.

Fire up what ever game you're playing and put it in windowed mode on lowest settings and monitor the temps, note down the highest they get to and roughly how long it ran before stutter/crash started.
IF on the lowest settings you can play fine slowly crank up the settings until stutter/crash happens.

If you could let us know the results, temps, games you're playing etc that'd be great Fatal.