CPU & GPU Temperatures

Aug 24, 2018
So I recently got a gaming pc, about a week ago. And I have noticed that my gpu especially is at a high temperature at most times. It can be at 40-46c while just browsing the web and 70-75 while playing games like For Honor and such. I have been using MSI Afterburner but don't really notice much, probably just a 7c decrease. I have tried to set up a custom fan curve, but haven't really noticed any increased fan speed after. My cpu stays in the 50's which I read is idle (50-63). Anyways, is there anything I can do to decrease the gpu temperature beside the measures already taken? I would like to keep a reasonably low fan speed as I get really distracted.

My specs:

Processor
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz

Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

RAM
16 GB

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 (build 17134), 64-bit

also have the noctua fans and a fractal design meshify c temp g ca

Solution
If you want to reduce temperatures you can:
- Limit the FPS to 60
- Set a temperature limit in Afterburner
- Lower the power limit in Afterburner

I did this and my GTX 1080, running at 33% fan speed, stays 55 C.

You can simply set the temperature limit to 60 C and the GPU will never go past 60 C.
But it will affect performance. Whenever it gets close to 60, it will reduce clock speeds to cool down, which may mean lower frames.
I generally don't have a problem keeping 60 frames per second constantly.
The GTX 1080 maximum temperature is 94°C, so 75°C while gaming should not be an issue.
NVIDIA reference cards run a bit hotter than partners like MSI, EVGA, etc.
If you want lower temps you will have to crank up the fan speed.
The i5-8400 max CPU temp is 100°C, so that looks fine.

rhoban

Prominent
Mar 17, 2018
If you want to reduce temperatures you can:
- Limit the FPS to 60
- Set a temperature limit in Afterburner
- Lower the power limit in Afterburner

I did this and my GTX 1080, running at 33% fan speed, stays 55 C.

You can simply set the temperature limit to 60 C and the GPU will never go past 60 C.
But it will affect performance. Whenever it gets close to 60, it will reduce clock speeds to cool down, which may mean lower frames.
I generally don't have a problem keeping 60 frames per second constantly.

Solution