Sep 21, 2019
I've been gaming on my new PC for several months now and have felt that it's not performing as well as I had expected, especially since I decided to get an i7 and a 1080ti, so I finally ran some benchmarks and it turns out I'm WAAAY under-performing (https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/20335746) with 24 percentile in the GPU and 2 percentile in the CPU! I'm very new to building PC's so it's most likely something in the build rather than the software causing this but any advice helps. If you need me to do anything else that would help single out the problem please just ask, I'm really panicking here!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

What is your PSU make and model also?
Have you monitored your CPU and GPU temps under load?
Do you have latest drivers installed (including MB/Chipset) - not using a driver updater?

Have you set windows to high performance mode?

I can see from the benchmark your i7-9700K is not boosting correctly, which will occur usually if it does not need to, or the current scenario does not allow it to (I.e. the CPU is already overheating).

I wouldn't worry too heavily about where you fit in the percentiles as userbenchmark actually pits you against others who have performed small to large overclocks on their systems, so it doesn't really compare apples to apples. But it's simply good to get a quick and brief idea as to how your system itself is performing.

What led you to think it is underperforming?

Sep 21, 2019
I have a Corsair HX1000i (I got it for free from a friend, trust me I know I don't need 1000w)
Just Ran MSI Kombuster and it was at about 75C running 98% GPU Load.

Just some games jitter a good bit, most recent example I can think of is poor Path of Exile performance (Lots of dropped frames in areas without tons of mobs)

One more Question. I'm thinking of trying to overclock it and check the benchmark again, what temperature range would you say I should keep it at?

Last edited:
Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have a Corsair HX1000i (I got it for free from a friend, trust me I know I don't need 1000w)
I haven't actually, should I use a different benchmark to check temps?
No, I would use HWINFO and then rerun either the benchmarks or your normal applications and monitor clock speeds and temperatures.

Just a first port of call.

Have you covered everything else too?

Sep 18, 2019
hello,
I see you have the asus rog motherboard with the I7 9700k , try the bench test of CPU Z and show if the score in single thread is OK (= around 570 pts).
I see numerous person's in the net with an under performance level with asus motherboards rog series and I7 8700k and I7 9700k. I think it's due that this series have a great problem today's with I7.
The symptom's are a lower score in CPU Z single thread and in cinbench R15 .
For me is the same problem and after day's of try's , i decided to returne my asus motherboard yesterday.