CPU/GPU Underperforming Issue

Oct 1, 2018
So this is another issue i have.

Aright so I've been having this issue for a couple of months now and i frankly dont know what to do. My frame rate suddenly started to drop accross all games that I have. I checked the GPU usage and it was under 40% at all times, I thought this was weird and thought maybe its a CPU bottleneck even tho my CPU and GPU are farely matched (Ryzen 1600 & GTX 1060 6GB) so I checked the CPU usage as well and thats also under 40% at all times, again, across all games. I haven't underclocked either of them before. On Afterburner it shows the right clock for my GPU and all the cores on my CPU are functional. Yes I have checked the Nvidia panel for V-sync and power modes and they didn't make a difference.

So does anyone know anyway to solve this? can things or specific programs cap usage? can i uncap it?

(KEEP IN MIND ALL THE GAMES I TRIED WERE RAN ON FULL SETTINGS AND THE RESULTS REMAINED THE SAME. UNDER 40% FOR BOTH CPU AND GPU)

Thank you.

Oct 1, 2018

Ryzen 5 1600
GTX 1060
16GB RAM in dual channel
240GB SSD and 1TB Hard Drive

I don't think it's the RAM because why would it switch up all of a sudden. when i first got it it ran like a beast for the first couple of months so I don't think it's a bottleneck because that would show from the start

Oct 1, 2018

Yes the newest drivers are installed from the Gigabyte website.

CPU - IDLE: 36C LOAD: Not sure but I belive it's in the 50s
GPU - IDLE:37C LOAD: 55C

Usually they'd both be hotter on load but as I mentioned they are no being utalized fully so that can't happen

Oct 1, 2018

CSGO, Rocket League, Just Cause 3, Dishonored 2, GTA 5, Agents of mayhem and Rust are the ones I've tried all on 1080p which i'd usually destroy but for the last couple months ive been getting less than 90fps

Oct 1, 2018

1500 - 1800 mhz

It's the normal clock as i said its just the usage is always under 40%

Hmm.... what do you have for a power supply (model, wattage, age)? If there is a problem with your PSU it could be starving your system. If the CPU or video card can't get enough power they will throttle until they can function properly. I'm wondering if that is what is happening here.

unlikely, the failure mode for an underpowered PSU is that the voltage drops as the current requested increases and as the voltage reduces the card incapable of maintaining stability and crashes.

It could be that improvements have been made and by sensing the voltage dip the card backs off, but that would be by modifying the frequency and not the load, as the frequency is the cause of needing a higher voltage.

Yes, but I'm thinking that the motherboard's power monitoring system is much newer than the many year old Pascal design so it is sensing the problem and throttling back everything in its control, leaving the graphics card unaffected as the motherboard gives up enough to let the GPU maintain its normal operation. If you look at the frequency issues with the CPU and RAM then your interpretation added to my theory makes sense... and I just realized that I'm thinking about a very similar problem that another user is having in a different thread... but it could also be the same issue here, so, don't jump to the PSU quite yet but lets keep it in the back of our minds..

So, yeah, graphics card driver, motherboard drivers, and give her a go in several benchmarks and compare to other users with similar hardware.