[SOLVED] CPU/GPU upgrade thoughts and opinions.

MarioRud

Honorable
May 4, 2015
Hi all! I'm thinking of upgrading my system with a new CPU, GPU and CPU Cooler. My current build is as follows:

i5 6600k @4.5Ghz
be quiet! Dark Rock 3 Air Cooler
MSI GTX 1060 @2000Mhz
Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4 Ram
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard
EVGA Supernova G2 550W PSU

I'm thinking of purchasing a used 1080ti from eBay. Although there are new RTX cards available, the prices in my country are insane - approx 1000euro for a 2080. I found a few used 1080ti's for around 500-650 euro and considering there is only a few fps difference in performance between 1080ti and 2080, it doesn't seem like such a bad deal.

I'm also thinking of pairing the GPU with an 8700k along with an NZXT Kraken X52 AIO (my first AIO ever)

I'm planning on overclocking both CPU and GPU. What do you guys think? Should I also upgrade the motherboard and RAM, or are my current components good enough for the new parts?

My case is the NZXT s340 Elite. Planning on having two intake radiator fans(push) and two exhaust fans(back and top). Will this provide good cooling for my PC? My current 2 intakes, 2 exhausts, and CPU cooler fan provide pretty decent cooling.

Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated, thanks!

Solution
Your 6600k is still a fine processor.

I suspect you will do just fine with a GTX1080ti.
At least, I would do the graphics upgrade first.

Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you are going to upgrade your cpu, you will also want a Z390 based motherboard.
I think a I5-9600k would be a suitable upgrade. You get more threads and stronger single thread performance.
A i7-9700K is going to outperform a 8700K and be priced similarly.

Your case is a good one for air cooling.
Try your current cooler first.
If it turns out that you need better...

MarioRud

Honorable
May 4, 2015

...MSI GTX 1060 6GB.

I have dual 144hz monitors and would like to run heavier titles like GTA V at higher frame rates than my current 50-70fps. The reason I'm considering buying new CPU as well is that I'm worried that the i5 will bottleneck the 1080ti.

Your 6600k is still a fine processor.

I suspect you will do just fine with a GTX1080ti.
At least, I would do the graphics upgrade first.

Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you are going to upgrade your cpu, you will also want a Z390 based motherboard.
I think a I5-9600k would be a suitable upgrade. You get more threads and stronger single thread performance.
A i7-9700K is going to outperform a 8700K and be priced similarly.

Your case is a good one for air cooling.
Try your current cooler first.
If it turns out that you need better cooling, a $80 noctua NH-D15s will fit and will cool as well or better than any aio cooler in your case.
In the process, it will run quieter, be more reliable and will not leak.

Solution