Question CPU/GPU Utilization Drops In Regular Cycles While Gaming

Jun 13, 2019
AMD FX8350 8 Core CPU

Biostar TA970 ATX MoBo

2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3-1866 RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX970 4GB GPU

Thermaltake Toughpower SFX 450W 80+ Gold Certified SFX PSU

I am able to confirm the same behavior for several games, Far Cry 5, Conan Exiles, Ark Survival Evolved. The exact issue I'm seeing is severe framerate drops, less than 1 frame per second, and the audio stuttering. It lasts for anywhere from 3 to 10 seconds, and the game resumes. About 30 seconds to a minute later, it happens again.

At first I figured it was just overheating of the CPU because I was using the crappy stock cooling fan the CPU came with. But since replacing it with a Thermaltake Water 3.0 Performer cooler, I am still experiencing the issue. (Originally it would get up to 75C under load. After installing the cooler, it doesn't go above 60C)

The first step I took was to monitor performance using the task manager performance tab in Win 10. I noticed when each of the games mentioned above would experience this issue, CPU utilization would drop from its normal place at 60--80%, down to 30%, and GPU utilization would drop from its normal place at 80-100% down to 0%.

Last edited:

cdrkf

Honorable
AMD FX8350 8 Core CPU

Biostar TA970 ATX MoBo

2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3-1866 RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX970 4GB GPU

Thermaltake Toughpower SFX 450W 80+ Gold Certified SFX PSU

I am able to confirm the same behavior for several games, Far Cry 5, Conan Exiles, Ark Survival Evolved. The exact issue I'm seeing is severe framerate drops, less than 1 frame per second, and the audio stuttering. It lasts for anywhere from 3 to 10 seconds, and the game resumes. About 30 seconds to a minute later, it happens again.

At first I figured it was just overheating of the CPU because I was using the crappy stock cooling fan the CPU came with. But since replacing it with a Thermaltake Water 3.0 Performer cooler, I am still experiencing the issue. (Originally it would get up to 75C under load. After installing the cooler, it doesn't go above 60C)

The first step I took was to monitor performance using the task manager performance tab in Win 10. I noticed when each of the games mentioned above would experience this issue, CPU utilization would drop from its normal place at 60--80%, down to 30%, and GPU utilization would drop from its normal place at 80-100% down to 0%.
That utilisation suggests the issue is with the GPU (cpu will drop if it's not having to feed the gpu). Have you tried cleaning the cooling fan / changing thermal paste on the gpu? They can overheat too.

The other thing that might be an issue is that PSU- the FX series cpu's are pretty power hungry, so I would say 450W is pretty low for that setup (although it is a good quality unit at least).

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS