[SOLVED] CPU grouding problem

stark08

Prominent
Mar 4, 2019
Hello everyone:)
I am new to this forum, so sorry in advance if something went wrong.

Now my problem is:
I have a pc probably 2-3 years old. I live in a rented house which don't have proper earthing. I always get shock when i touch the cabinet of my cpu. It is plugged into a 3 prong outlet but as it is not grouded so i got shock. My question is: Is it harmful for my components like hdd, ram and motherboard? If yes then is there any way to solve it? My hdd recently died few weeks ago, so i wondered is it because of this grounding problem?
Thanks in advance.

Lutfij

Titan
Yes it is harmful for your components residing in your chassis. I've had a friend who thought nothing of it and always wore slippers when toughing his all metal chassis to power it up, connect/disconnect a USB device or even when hot-swapping drives. It was only after he began complaining that one by one his PC had failing components and eventually the PC didn't boot up, due to a dead motherboard. The static build up was too much for the system over time.

You could contact your landlord and ask him/her to get the wiring sorted out for your house/apartment or for that one room where you power the system off of but I would like to urge you(as an architect) grounding is necessary in any household whether or not you're using a PC.

You could also have a certified electrician run a medium gauge wire as a ground from the socket to a metal/steel pole outside your house.

Mind sharing your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Make and model of your PSU as well, please.

stark08

Prominent
Mar 4, 2019
You could contact your landlord and ask him/her to get the wiring sorted out for your house/apartment or for that one room where you power the system off of

Mind sharing your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Make and model of your PSU as well, please.
Thank you for replying.

I have already tried to ask my landlord to fix the earthing but they don't seem to be interested in fixing it. So is there any other option? I hope there is...

As i alreay mentioned tha my hdd is dead and don't buy a new one yet. So i don't have exact knowledge of each and every hardware of my pc but there is as much as i know:
CPU: Intel core i5 or i7 @ 3.000ghz
Motherboard: No idea model is Gigabyte GA-H61M-S(as written on it.)
RAM: Simmtronics 2gb DDR3
SSD/HDD: Seagate 500gb hdd
GPU: No Idea
PSU: Zebronics ZEB-N4509(ASATA) AC Input 230V-50Hz 6A
Chasis: No Idea

You could run a single wire from metal pipe for water supply to a power splitter and plug your components into it. Water supply lines make good earth because they are running mostly under ground for miles.
Otherwise, not earthed/grounded appliances can be very dangerous particularly water heaters and stoves which can actually electrocute you.

stark08

Prominent
Mar 4, 2019
You could run a single wire from metal pipe for water supply to a power splitter and plug your components into it.
Hi CountMike and thank you for reply. Unfortunately your solution can't be possible for me because:
1.My water supply pipe is not made of metal.
2. How can run the wire through whole pipe?
And what is this power splitter?

Any other solution?