CPU Health?

HyperBeat

Reputable
Mar 1, 2019
Hello,
I got an old laptop, this laptop had a lot of dust inside for like 3 years or more... I opened the laptop and cleaned it. My question is: How can I know that the CPU is still good? or how to know if the CPU's life is still good?

Note: the laptop still works fine, buts it really have an bad performance... I also upgraded to windows 10 (It was windows 7)

WildCard999

Titan
Hello,
I got an old laptop, this laptop had a lot of dust inside for like 3 years or more... I opened the laptop and cleaned it. My question is: How can I know that the CPU is still good? or how to know if the CPU's life is still good?

Note: the laptop still works fine, buts it really have an bad performance... I also upgraded to windows 10 (It was windows 7)
There's no program out there that I'm aware of that can check the CPU health however as long as its running fine and isn't overheating then there should be no issues. It may be slow due to older hardware or could be viruses, I would do full scans with Windows Defender & Malwarebytes. If it's still too slow then consider getting a SSD for it and doing a clean install of Windows 10 on it.

If the laptop still runs ok and cool, i wouldnt worry about the lifespan of the cpu.

I would try to remove any viruses or malware, as well as make sure your hard drive isnt full. A hdd defrag could help aswell.

Replacing the hard drive with an ssd is a great investment aswell even if your hard drive is healthy.

I had a laptop that was completely filled with junk and the hdd was dying. Laptop took 12 min to boot.
Replaced hdd and fresh windows install. Still took 3-4 minutes to boot and was unusably slow.

Replaced hdd with an el cheapo HP oem ssd and boom. Boot times under 30 seconds and overall this 5 year old laptop is as fast as a brand new pc

Reactions: HyperBeat

HyperBeat

Reputable
Mar 1, 2019
There's no program out there that I'm aware of that can check the CPU health however as long as its running fine and isn't overheating then there should be no issues. It may be slow due to older hardware or could be viruses, I would do full scans with Windows Defender & Malwarebytes. If it's still too slow then consider getting a SSD for it and doing a clean install of Windows 10 on it.
If the laptop still runs ok and cool, i wouldnt worry about the lifespan of the cpu.

I would try to remove any viruses or malware, as well as make sure your hard drive isnt full. A hdd defrag could help aswell.

Replacing the hard drive with an ssd is a great investment aswell even if your hard drive is healthy.

I had a laptop that was completely filled with junk and the hdd was dying. Laptop took 12 min to boot.
Replaced hdd and fresh windows install. Still took 3-4 minutes to boot and was unusably slow.

Replaced hdd with an el cheapo HP oem ssd and boom. Boot times under 30 seconds and overall this 5 year old laptop is as fast as a brand new pc

Yes the laptop is running fine without any issues but its too slow, its an issue from the hard disk? I believe that I can replace the HDD with an SSD.
Laptop model: Toshiba satellite c660-A212

Ok so reading the specs sheet it says that that laptop uses a 5400rpm sata hdd and has 1x2gb of ram, although it can be expanded to 1x8gb.

Since the current drive is sata, you can replace the hard drive with a 2.5in sata ssd. Something like this is a good place to start:https://www.ebay.com/p/Kingston-A40...device=m&mkcid=2&chn=ps&campaignid=1908126893

I would also concider expanding the ram to a 4 or 8gb stick.

HyperBeat

Reputable
Mar 1, 2019
Ok so reading the specs sheet it says that that laptop uses a 5400rpm sata hdd and has 1x2gb of ram, although it can be expanded to 1x8gb.

Since the current drive is sata, you can replace the hard drive with a 2.5in sata ssd. Something like this is a good place to start:https://www.ebay.com/p/Kingston-A40...device=m&mkcid=2&chn=ps&campaignid=1908126893

I would also concider expanding the ram to a 4 or 8gb stick.
Hello, thanks for replying!
My laptop specs isn't the same as the ones shown in the website...
Specs: Intel i3 M 380 @ 2.53GHz - 4gb ram ddr3 - 64 bit system - 500gb HDD.

Ok everything including cpu was right but the ram amount wasnt.

You can upgrade that system to an ssd. The one above is a good fit. The a400 comes in 120, 240, 480, and 960gb varieties depending on your needs and budget.
4gb ram should be fine for day to day usage, but if you run into problems with ram usage an upgrade to 8gb would help.

I never EVER heard or encountered CPU dying of old age, they all just get obsolete, so slow for new software that u simply get tired of waiting and dump it.

Very old laptops, say a Core Duo, probably not worth upgrading. Lipstick to a pig, unless u just want to play with it, not actually doing anything useful work.

Sagar_20

Distinguished
You must have heard of User benchmark. It's basically a tool that compares your computer components with different people across the world having the same components.

It can give you an idea what component in your PC is ageing or needs replacement.

If, let's say your CPU gets 60 percentile or above, then it's considered a good status.

Run it and check for yourself.
Make sure there is no background activity going on to get the best results.

60 % ile means that out of 100 people, yours outperformed the the 60%.

Also, you can use an app called Speccy. It shows info about all your PC components in one page along with their temperature. If cpu temp is under 70 C, there's nothing to worry.

Last edited: