CPU heat over 100 degrees - how?

lamorey.joshua

Prominent
Jun 11, 2018
First build. It's a Ryzen 5 2400g with the stock cooler and a MSI Tomahawk B350. It booted up well but I thought the fan sounded strange and the install was not easy so I took the fan off, reapplied thermal paste. Immediately on starting up the temperature is up around 100 and even over. So I very carefully clean the paste and reapply. I've done this 3 times. Could bad paste even cause temperatures this high? Nothing works. There is nothing I can see on the board. Everything looks clean. Any ideas? Maybe I should take it to a computer shop.

The paste I'm using is from a Noctua fan that I received that does not have screws so I can't attach it. The paste is called NT-H1.

Please help.

Solution
You have most likely incorrectly installed the cooler or the fan. Cooler is not making contact, obviously, because temps this high would never occur within mere seconds. It is not advisable for an unexperienced person to mess with the cooler or fan, because at this point noone can know what you actually did. The best and fail-safe solution would be for you to buy a decent aftermarket cooler for this CPU.
You have most likely incorrectly installed the cooler or the fan. Cooler is not making contact, obviously, because temps this high would never occur within mere seconds. It is not advisable for an unexperienced person to mess with the cooler or fan, because at this point noone can know what you actually did. The best and fail-safe solution would be for you to buy a decent aftermarket cooler for this CPU.

Solution