[SOLVED] CPU heat throttling?

Sep 6, 2021
I have an asus vivobook x512 and everytime I play a game, the cpu's clockspeed drops to around 0.39-0.90 ghz

This is probably from heat throttling but my temps are usually around 75 degrees before the drop in clockspeed
This happens even when doing basic tasks such as watching youtube.
I have a cooling pad for my laptop by the way

----------
SPECS:
CPU: i7-10510u
RAM: 16 GB 2667mhz
SSD: Intel 660p
GPU: Nvidia GeForce MX250
-----------

So why is this happening?
also this happens very often when playing games which should be expected (around every 20+ seconds)

View: https://imgur.com/a/NznQckA

View: https://imgur.com/a/L2UEAQs

Solution
In the TPL window check the MMIO Lock box.

Clear the Disable Power Limit Control box.

Check the Speed Shift box and set "Power Limit 4" to 0.

Post another screenshot of the TPL window after you make these changes and run another log file.
Sep 6, 2021
What power plan do you have in windows (power saver, balanced, high performance)???
Do you run your test only on battery or pugged in?
I have the power plan set to high performance and tried to tweak everything in the power plan to get the most performance.
I run the test on battery
also my laptop barely works on battery, consistently at 0.39 ghz

@Drago__
Some computers have severe throttling problems while running on battery power. Both the CPU and Nvidia GPU can slow down to a crawl. Manufacturers never tell consumers about these features. It comes as a big surprise after you get home.

Try running ThrottleStop

Post some screenshots so I can see how the program is setup. Turn on the Log File option so I can see how your computer is running. When finished testing, exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. It will be in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder. Copy and paste the data to www.pastebin.com and post a link here.

Most laptops are not usable for gaming unless you are plugged in.

Sep 6, 2021
@Drago__
Some computers have severe throttling problems while running on battery power. Both the CPU and Nvidia GPU can slow down to a crawl. Manufacturers never tell consumers about these features. It comes as a big surprise after you get home.

Try running ThrottleStop

Post some screenshots so I can see how the program is setup. Turn on the Log File option so I can see how your computer is running. When finished testing, exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. It will be in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder. Copy and paste the data to www.pastebin.com and post a link here.

Most laptops are not usable for gaming unless you are plugged in.
I just realized I typed on battery, I meant to say I am plugged in all the time.

Regardless, i've done what you have asked
https://pastebin.com/JBByqpBM

How the software is setup (basically the default)
https://prnt.sc/1uc44r1

@Drago__
The log file shows that your computer is constantly power limit throttling. Even when power consumption is only 5W or 6W, the CPU is still being power limit throttled which forces it to run slower and slower. This is what is killing performance. A throttling scheme that throttles the CPU speed down to 500 MHz is ridiculous. There is no legit reason for this.

Sadly, some of these throttling problems cannot be solved. This laptop seems to have a serious design bug. I have seen some similar issues in Dell laptops.

If you want some suggestions, post a screenshot of the Turbo Power Limits (TPL) window.

In the TPL window check the MMIO Lock box.

Clear the Disable Power Limit Control box.

Check the Speed Shift box and set "Power Limit 4" to 0.

Post another screenshot of the TPL window after you make these changes and run another log file.

Solution
Not sure what the "Power Limit 4" you meant
Power Limit 4 needs to be set to 0, not 50.

pTKeHfe.png

Your log file shows constant EDP throttling. Look at the far right column in the log file. It shows EDP from top to bottom. You should never be seeing anything in that column.

Power Limit 4 in the TPL window and IccMax in the FIVR window are the two main causes of EDP throttling problems.