[SOLVED] CPU Heat/Usage Problems, i5-7600k

Kyle_157

Prominent
Jun 12, 2017
Hello! I recently picked up a new game for my PC, Warhammer Vermintide 2. It wasn't running very well, to be honest, which clued me in to the fact that maybe something was wrong with my PC.

It turns out that my CPU runs very hot when I run this game, and also just generally runs hot even when i'm just looking at my desktop. BIOS gave me a temperature read of 70 degrees Celsius. In game, 100 degrees celsius. Moreover, the game gives me 100% usage rate on my CPU... in the main menu.

My first thought was maybe I installed the CPU improperly, with a poor application of thermal paste... or perhaps that my thermal paste used wasn't very good (it was probably 6 years old when I put it on, still in the tube). So, today I went and got some new thermal paste, wiped off the existing thermal paste and applied it.

Loaded up my PC, still the same deal. I thought, maybe my heat sink isn't installed properly or it's loose. Well, it's pretty snug.

I got this CPU in April, and it's possible that the whole time I have been playing games since then it's run at this temperature.

All this to say, I have no idea what's wrong. I thought about getting a new heat sink since the one I have is the stock option that comes with my CPU but surely the stock option wouldn't have me running at 70 degrees in a pretty idle state?

Any help would be awesome. My specs are as follows:

i5-7600k
GTX 1070 Windforce
16 GB DDR4 RAM, 3200mhz
two SSDs
MSI Gaming Pro Carbon z270 mobo

Solution
It should still be enough not to overheat at stock settings but maybe the fan has gotten weak on it. I'd buy a new cooler. If nothing else you have a good ocing motherboard it'll let you do some overclocking as well. Something like a cyroig h7 should let you get a pretty solid oc for not a lot of money

Kyle_157

Prominent
Jun 12, 2017
I use the stock intel CPU cooler that came with my CPU. I'm not sure how to check Vcore. I'm using hwmonitor and msi afterburner to check this stuff. If there isn't a stock one, then maybe it came from my last CPU that I got in 2012? I could've sworn I got it from my CPU though?

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
It should still be enough not to overheat at stock settings but maybe the fan has gotten weak on it. I'd buy a new cooler. If nothing else you have a good ocing motherboard it'll let you do some overclocking as well. Something like a cyroig h7 should let you get a pretty solid oc for not a lot of money

Solution