Question CPU heating problems?

Thecoolman5

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
So I recently finished building a new PC. I got an i9-9900k with a H100i Pro cooler. As far as I could tell, I applied enough thermal paste, put the block on right, put the fans in the right spots, etc. When I run my CPU under 100% load, it zooms up to around 90 degrees Celsius and hovers around there. The fans on my cooler do spin up and I can feel heat coming off the radiator. But within 2 seconds of stopping the benchmark, the temperatures jump all the way down to 45-50 degrees c and then slowly make their way down to low 30's. Could this be a problem with the temperature sensor in the CPU? Is this proper temp behavior?

What are you using to stress test? The 9900k is a very hot running chip, and hitting 90 celsius under some stress tests even with a 240mm AIO may be within the normal range, especially if you have any sort of multicore enhancement feature enabled in the BIOS which auto-overclocks the chip to the maximum Turbo value across all cores.

Thecoolman5

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
What are you using to stress test? The 9900k is a very hot running chip, and hitting 90 celsius under some stress tests even with a 240mm AIO may be within the normal range, especially if you have any sort of multicore enhancement feature enabled in the BIOS which auto-overclocks the chip to the maximum Turbo value across all cores.
I was just rendering an image on Blender. All 16 threads were running at 100% load. One other thing is that just a few weeks prior, I put this same CPU in a new mobo and upon pressing the power button, something sparked on the mobo (however nowhere near the CPU socket) and then started smoking. My friend is convinced that something may have shortened out on the CPU which is screwing with the temp sensor but we aren't quite sure.