[SOLVED] CPU heatsink/Mobo broken

Dec 27, 2021
Hey guys bare with me as I'm not the best with the names of all components so it might be a bit hard to understand but essentially
I was replacing the thermal paste on my CPU, I have a cooler master hyper 212 cooler and when I was unscrewing it off the top, I realized one of the bolts? That the screws actually screw in to was stuck on the bottom of the screw. I thought it'd be okay and it's would just push down In to place but nope, once trying to put it back together, the other three went down except this one.
I thought maybe I installed it incorrectly, so I unscrewed the cooler off, and I don't know if I just applied way too much pressure or what, but ALL of the bolts came off and are now on the bottom of all the screws. So now I can't screw it back in, none of them will tighten and I'm not sure what to do... I'm at work but when I'm home I'll take a few pictures for example, for now I'll attach a picture of the cooler components to give an idea of what I mean.
Do I need a new motherboard (does the motherboard house the 4 bolts that the screws go in to?) I'm really so clueless, and my pc is extremely old so if it breaks its not too bad but I'd like to try avoid. Plz help guys I'm clearly an idiot

Solution
View: https://imgur.com/a/2rKhvg7

These are the components for my cooler, the green circle highlights The bolts (idk what they're called???) that are meant to be lodged in the pc and then screwed into, but instead they're stuck to the bottom of the screws circled in red. What do I do? They will not go back in to the pc, and the holes that the bolts originally go In to I can see that the holes actually move so whatever behind the motherboard or whatever won't stay in place. I'll take soem pics when Im home so hopefully this all makes more sense but either way Ty for help lads apologies for rambling
Hyper 212 has slightly different mounting methods and instructions depending on which socket: AMD...
Dec 27, 2021

These are the components for my cooler, the green circle highlights The bolts (idk what they're called???) that are meant to be lodged in the pc and then screwed into, but instead they're stuck to the bottom of the screws circled in red. What do I do? They will not go back in to the pc, and the holes that the bolts originally go In to I can see that the holes actually move so whatever behind the motherboard or whatever won't stay in place. I'll take soem pics when Im home so hopefully this all makes more sense but either way Ty for help lads apologies for rambling

Hyper 212 has slightly different mounting methods and instructions depending on which socket: AMD AM3 or AM4, or one of the many Intel LGA sockets. You have to be specific about which to find the right method but there's plenty of how-to videos in Youtube and an excellent instruction set online at CM.

Different spacers are often screwed between the mounting bracket (the 'X' part) and the mounting holes in the motherboard...you have to be careful to get the right spacers as each socket has different mounting heights. Sometimes the spacers just slip over the screws...but this is one of the options you have to make match to the right mounting method for your socket.

Also, and in general though, there's a backplate of some sort usually involved. When you remove all the screws from top side that backplate can come loose and fall down. If it falls down so far the screws can't reach to catch threads and pull it up you have to open the back of the computer and push it up into place until the screws catch.

Solution
Dec 27, 2021
Hyper 212 has slightly different mounting methods and instructions depending on which socket: AMD AM3 or AM4, or one of the many Intel LGA sockets. You have to be specific about which to find the right method but there's plenty of how-to videos in Youtube and an excellent instruction set online at CM.

Different spacers are often screwed between the mounting bracket (the 'X' part) and the mounting holes in the motherboard...you have to be careful to get the right spacers as each socket has different mounting heights. Sometimes the spacers just slip over the screws...but this is one of the options you have to make match to the right mounting method for your socket.

Also, and in general though, there's a backplate of some sort usually involved. When you remove all the screws from top side that backplate can come loose and fall down. If it falls down so far the screws can't reach to catch threads and pull it up you have to open the back of the computer and push it up into place until the screws catch.

I read earlier about the backplate and that it could be that, I'm hoping it's that when I get back home and open up to have a look! I'm gonna assume it's an Am3 as I built this pc for cheap about 6 years ago and haven't upgraded which is why I'm not too fussed about messing anything up in it, but if I can fix it without having to replace any components that'd be nice 😅 though I'm not sure actually now that I think about it if it is the backplate, because when I originally put the heatsink back on, the top left screw wouldn't go back in and it appears the that the little hole where the screws would sit has actually chipped it a bit and made the hole bigger than usual so maybe that could be why the screws wouldn't sit in. I hate being so clueless but thank you for the help I'll report back!