CPU help for build

Nairb85

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
I have been looking to build a new pc, currently using a dated Pavillion laptop. My primary focus with this is not gaming, I'm mostly a console gamer, my PC gaming usually consists of older games when I feel the need to remience. This is mostly for Photo/video editing, and as a HTPC as well. I do have a preferance for AMD(although haven't forsaken intel) and thus have been looking at the Phenom 2 X6s. I have also been considering holding off on a decision to wait for Bulldozer CPUs to hit the market, but I think for what I need they are overkill and would require increasing my budget. The processor I've been considering the most is the 1100T http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103913, although I haven't really seen any discussion about this particular model. Is this due to no one having much experience with it, or because it is only marginally better than the 1090T that a seperate mention is redundant? I would appreciate any input on if this CPU is suitable for my requirements, or other recommendations if you think I would be better off with something else. If I go with a Phenom 2, I will most likely be buying this mobo BIOSTAR TA870+ AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard, http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138198.

extremebadass

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
have a look at the specs of my pc i play games aswell as video photo stuff and it kicks ass for the price of a 1055t you will not notice much difference at all if you overclock any x6 cpu 4.1 to 4.2Ghz on a descent air cooler and quality thermal paste STABLE usually no probs.Save the extra dollars and spend it on a good cpu cooler or u will be limited with stable OC with any of the x6 products @ over 3.8Ghz, :) that is unless you live in alaska

Nairb85

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
lol not alaska, feels like it in the winter though. This is the cooler i was considering XIGMATEK HDT-S1284F 120mm HYPRO Bearing CPU Cooler, and this TIM MASSCOOL G751 Shin-Etsu Thermal Interface Material. But, basically if I'm going to OC and X6 it doesn't really matter which one I chose as long a I cool it sufficiently?

fshaharyar

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
since you are going to use this pc for video and photo editing you should go with X6 because editing will get a lot of benefit from multi core processor. instead of getting a higher clock speed.

or you should wait for Llano cause the software vendors like adobe, sony vegas are trying to device software that will utilize the power of APU.

extremebadass

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Hi mate, the xigmatec cooler u wish to use will work great.Cannot comment on the thermal paste as i have never used it. Try and get yourself a couple of ssd's in raid, I just built an i7 for a mate liquid cooled oc'd with twin ati 5970 quadfire. 1500 watt xigmatec psu, corsair dominator ddr3 12 gig. 1x 300 gig raptor just for his favourite games,5TB of storage for movies and whatever in an antec lanboy modular tower.This was a tight fit and this thing cranks like you know what.His father asked me why his electricity bill has increased so much and i just laughed.Anyway the moral of this story Superior prformance go Intel and pay through the power point and nose.To get excellent performance go AMD phenom x6 you will not be disappointed

http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1633308.png

Nairb85

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
why won't the xigmatec work? just curious willing to use something else, although I'd rather stay air cooled.

extremebadass

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Just be careful what cpu cooler you do use .Some coolers block a ram slot close to the cpu on gigabyte boards.I know xigmatek does because of their size... it happened on my ud4p mobo...Xigmatek are a good cpu aftermarket cooler make sure you have the fan to cool it.Don't do it passively. AMD cpu's run quite cool compared to intel stuff.Another cheap watercooling solution which works quite well is the Corsair H70 cpu cooler,it's a sealed unit and it will not cost you an arm or leg compared to other liquid cooling setups it's cheap and effective and not hard to set up at all and leaves heaps of room in tower for air circulation.I always use Gigabyte mobos for my builds as they seem to be making some pretty bullet proof stuff at the moment that really oc well and can take heat real well.Corsair ram and power supply units are pretty good quality.I'd recommend them .Have fun deciding.....

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Hi Nairb85 :hello: ...If you like AMD based systems :pt1cable: ,I would wait for the bulldozer and be happy with that :) ...That will keep you up to date with the modern technology and not always behind...I read some where that the bulldozer will not be compatible with the past motherboards :pt1cable: ,so if you just wait and buy up to date you'll be just fine :) ...As for Intel based models,when they repair the cougar chipset mainboards you know that you'll be up to date also,because the next round of Intel processors are called Ivy Bridge & they share the same LGA 1155 socket pinset number and are 22nm so you'll be able to drop them into a cougar chipset motherboard after updating the bios :ange: :) :wahoo: ...How is that for future proofing your own home made system ;) ...I would go with a core i7 2500 at the least ;) ...I hope that I was of some help :) ...