CPU help for work PC

yanniscavalie

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
Trying to put together a build for work use. This basically entails:

• ■ A lot of word processing, excel, etc
    ■ Heavy browser usage
    ■ Software usage such as Quickbooks, Adobe Acrobat, etc
    ■ A lot of file storage (I was thinking an SSD for boot and 1TB+- for storage)

Will 8gb (2 x4gb) of RAM be sufficient? It needs to be quick

Needs to support dual monitors (already own the monitors)

Needs to last several years

Thats basically all I can think of. No gaming whatsoever will be done on the PC. At most, maybe some HD videos will be watched via browser so I don't see the need for anything other than integrated GPU. I was considering something along the lines of an i5 processor but just don't know where to start. I'm completely new to over clocking so don't really think I will go for that but I'm open to all options. I was also contemplating a Xeon processor but was driven away because they lack integrated GPU if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Okay stop. Your paradigm is way off for many reasons and let me explain.
There is NO FUTUREPROOFING a PC, period. All BUSINESSES know a PC is replaced every 3 years, just as much as tires needs to be replaced for the delivery trucks or yearly maintenance done on a Building's components (Fire System, Elevators, plumbing, electrical, etc.). PC purchases are normally a 'asset' that has a depreciation and that is usually by year 3 the new demands (remember business is 24x7x365 flexibility now) are different then what the original system was built for. Consumers push it to 5 years but usually they aren't making MONEY off the computer (write a proposal, answer a email, etc. is making money for your business) and thus if it can't perform as...
Okay stop. Your paradigm is way off for many reasons and let me explain.
There is NO FUTUREPROOFING a PC, period. All BUSINESSES know a PC is replaced every 3 years, just as much as tires needs to be replaced for the delivery trucks or yearly maintenance done on a Building's components (Fire System, Elevators, plumbing, electrical, etc.). PC purchases are normally a 'asset' that has a depreciation and that is usually by year 3 the new demands (remember business is 24x7x365 flexibility now) are different then what the original system was built for. Consumers push it to 5 years but usually they aren't making MONEY off the computer (write a proposal, answer a email, etc. is making money for your business) and thus if it can't perform as well, they just deal with it.

That said, you should FORGET all the tech things your 'contemplating' as it is a waste of money for your needs (unless software usage 'etc.' includes more then Office Quickbooks Acrobat but entails CAD, Maya, etc.). You do NOT even need Dual Monitors, honestly, unless you have a specific need (i.e. Daytraders need multiple screens so they can 'see' all the information that can't fit on one screen for example).

Your needs are all easily covered with a simple 'off the shelf' i3 Laptop or Desktop from Walmart for only $249. I would HIGHLY suggest sticking with the laptop, as a business man / woman you need to be mobile, and flexible, and you can't tell a client "oh I need to go home to do that on my desktop". They are expecting you right there and then in front of them with all the Wifi/Cellular access to provide their solution RIGHT NOW.

Any 'off the shelf' will handle all the items you listed it needs to do and has more then enough storage BUT YOU STILL NEED A EXT HDD FOR BACK UP! I can't count the number of SMBs that constantly beg to recover their Quickbooks on drives that went belly up or worse had infection corrupt the files. Also keep a second backup someplace 'else' just in case (have a fire in your house, and your house has both the computer AND backup now what do you do?).

Solution