Question CPU Help, Processor/Mobo/Bios

lyracs

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
Hi all, my gear is all 5th generation intel with an AMD gpu. I will provide specs below. I was given the oppurtunity to upgrade i5 to an i7 with a different mother as well ( Simply moving everything into the case that holds the i7 with the motherboard and the liquid cooling it has attached. Doing that I was able to load things through the motherboard graphics via HDMI and I was able to get the bios downloaded and on to a flash drive where I would proceed to flash drive the bios. It worked where I was able to install the bios but after that and taking out the flash drive as well, it loads into the blue windows repair menu. I did a troubleshoot where it told me there was an error in C:\WINDOWS\System32\LogFiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt. I was wondering in how I can fix this without having to do the windows wipe through the blue menu because I have some applications that are valuable to me and they cannot be replaced to my knowledge since I don't think I have my ssd and hdd backed up.

. I was wondering also if I simply switched the i7 processor into my original setup that had the original motherboard and everything if that would fix everything?

I've seen the cmd idea but I don't know the full works of it and so forth and am simply thinking that returning my ssd and hdd to the original mobo should be fine....

Anything will help

SPECS:
Original PC. i5-4690k, AMD R9 295x2, Corsair 850w PSU, 1866Mhz DDR3 RAM (16x4 Sticks), MSI Z97z SLI KRAIT edition motherboard, 240 Sandisk SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda.

Changes to the PC: i7-4790k & Gigabyte Z97X-SLI

If you're using the same Windows installation that was used with your old build with the new CPU/motherboard this is likely the issue.

If you were to install everything back into your old system but only replace the 4690K for the 4790K this should allow you to have a working computer again.

lyracs

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
If you're using the same Windows installation that was used with your old build with the new CPU/motherboard this is likely the issue.

If you were to install everything back into your old system but only replace the 4690K for the 4790K this should allow you to have a working computer again.
I will do that when I get the chance and keep you updated. Thank you!

lyracs

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
Update: I was able to switch out the processors with having the original motherboard and I tried using my stock fan that I had used for my i5 and I noticed that it was overheating quite often. I ended up switching to a larger case to use a Corsair H100i V2 since my Mid-Tower was too small. When I added the water cooler and checked temperatures I was getting the same result. I am using some random 4 year old thermal paste so I'm assuming it has to be that. I plan on getting new thermal paste today to see if this is the issue. But everything ran smoothly and was booting up properly and my gpu temps were looking solid as well.