Mar 29, 2020
Hi all I am in the process of building my gaming pc and I am stuck on cpu compatability, I have the Asrock Extreme 4 Z370 board and wanted to run a i7 9700k I know itll work but it will need a BIOs upgrade the problem is i dont have a spare CPU to install and update it so I am looking to buy a cheap one just for the update.

Im not sure what version my bios is all i know is on the motherboard its showing P1.80, the CPU i am looking to buy for the upgrade according to the asrock website is for BIOS versions P1.60 (Intel Celeron G4920) can anyone tell me if this cpu will work on my motherboard straight away without any upgrades?

kanewolf

Titan
Hi all I am in the process of building my gaming pc and I am stuck on cpu compatability, I have the Asrock Extreme 4 Z370 board and wanted to run a i7 9700k I know itll work but it will need a BIOs upgrade the problem is i dont have a spare CPU to install and update it so I am looking to buy a cheap one just for the update.

Im not sure what version my bios is all i know is on the motherboard its showing P1.80, the CPU i am looking to buy for the upgrade according to the asrock website is for BIOS versions P1.60 (Intel Celeron G4920) can anyone tell me if this cpu will work on my motherboard straight away without any upgrades?
All the 9700K CPUs listed on the support page -- https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z370 Extreme4/index.asp#CPU require at least v 3.2 and since there are different versions of that CPU the SAFE version would be v 4.1
What do you mean by "on the motherboard its showing P1.80" ? Do you mean a sticker on the box ?
If you don't have version 4.1 and don't have a supported CPU, you may have to take the board to a computer shop for them to flash it.

Mar 29, 2020
All the 9700K CPUs listed on the support page -- https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z370 Extreme4/index.asp#CPU require at least v 3.2 and since there are different versions of that CPU the SAFE version would be v 4.1
What do you mean by "on the motherboard its showing P1.80" ? Do you mean a sticker on the box ?
If you don't have version 4.1 and don't have a supported CPU, you may have to take the board to a computer shop for them to flash it.
P1.80 is what is labeled on the motherboard near the bios chip according to asrock this is the bios version which is v1.80, sadly i dont know anyone with a chip to do it, I was told to buy a cpu that was lower then my version (the one i mentioned is v1.60) in order to flash/update the bios to the newest Version in order to use my i7 9700k

Do you know roughly how much a shop would charge to flash it for me?