Refonders

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I was wondering what a CPU hierarchy chart would look like. For example, if you took many many processors and set them all at, say , 1Ghz, where would each CPU fall in relation to others. Here's my guess at what it may look like:

Original Pentium
Pentium II
Athlon
Celeron
Duron
Pentium III
Sempron
Athlon XP
Pentium 4
Athlon 64
Athlon 64 FX
Pentium D
Athlon X2
Core 2 Duo
Phenom
Phenom 2
Core 2 Quad
Core i7

I know I left some out, the tri-core AMDs for example, but this is just my random guess, and it's not very accurate, I'm sure.

I think the Pentium 3 clock for clock would destroy a Pentium 4; the Pentium 3 is what they chose to make the Core2 line out of after all...The Pentium 4 was all about the GHz, not the ICP.

Heck, the P4 might have the worse ICP out of all of them; Seriously, DNF development would end before an instruction finds its way out of the P4 pipeline!

Nah. Core 2 quads are ahead of the Phenom clock for clock.

Agreed about putting P4 quite a bit farther down though.

Honestly, could P4 be worst, clock for clock? We are essentially arguing ICP here, and I think the P4 could be the worst of the bunch, thanks to that pipeline.

And no response to my DNF joke yet? Cmon people...

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Celerons? New Celerons, like the Conroe-L? If so, they go above Sempron and Athlon64, pretty much a clock parity with 1MB L2 cache Althon64s (such as the Athlon64 FX).

Also, I gotta defend P4. Sure, the Williamette P4, with a 400MHz fsb, 256kb L2 cache, and no hyperthreading may not be faster than a Pentium III clock for clock, but if we took an HT enabled Northwood or Prescott or Cedar Mill and pitting it against a PIII, the P4 would win, hands down. More L2 cache, and a 10 to 20% performance boost thanks to HT, not to mention SSE2 and SSE3 (Prescott and Cedar Mill). After all, we are using modern benchmark applications, aren't we?

Here's the list:
K5
Pentium
K6
Pentium MMX
K6-2
Pentium II
K6-III
Celeron (Mendicino<Coppermine)
Celeron (Pentium 4 Williamette/Northwood)
Atom
Pentium 4 (Williamette<Northwood)
Celeron (Tualatin)
Pentium III (Coppermine)
Celeron D (Prescott<Cedar Mill)
Athon (Orion/Pluto)
Duron
Pentium III (Tualatin)
Athlon (Thunderbird)
Pentium 4, HT enabled (Prescott<Northwood<Cedar Mill<Gallatin)
Athlon XP (Palomino/Thoroughbred A/B<Barton)
Atom Dual Core
Sempron
Pentium M/Celeron M (Banias/Dothan)
Athlon 64
Pentium D
Celeron (Conroe-L)
Athlon64 FX (or 1MB L2 cache Athlon64)
Core-Solo
Celeron M (Merom)
Athlon X2
Core Duo
Core 2 Duo
Phenom
Core 2 Quad
Phenom II
Core i5 (guess)
Core i7

On this list, it's pretty tight from Pentium II to Celeron, and then again from Celeron Tualaton to Athlon T-Bird. They all perform very much equal to each other on a clock for clock basis. Once again, when we come to Pentium M to Athlon FX the performance would be very close, so it's hard to say in those groupings which one will be better than the other for absolute certainty. However, I've grouped these based on the assumption that all benchmarks are multi-threaded. If single threaded benchmarks are used, the performance of anything SMT or multi core would drop significantly. Now this list is once again based on the assumption that all CPUs were running at 1.0GHz. Everything else, such as the FSB, ram type available to the platform the CPU would have to run on, would remain unchanged, so this is most definitely a list of IPC of a given platform, as I'm sure some of these CPUs are held back by slow FSB, off die cache, and slow ram. Since some of these CPUs are capable of operating at much higher frequencies (e.g. the P4), an absolute performance chart for the CPUs given factory clock speeds would end up looking quite different.

Are you talking about single-threaded performance or multi-threaded performance? If it is single-threaded performance, then it is something like this, slowest to fastest per clock:

- 80486/Am5x86
- Original Pentium
- K5
- Celeron Covington (no L2 cache)
- AMD K6/K6-2
- AMD K6-III
- Atom
- Pentium 4/D
- PII/PIII Katmai/Celeron Mendocino/Pentium Pro
- PIII Coppermine
- K7 Athlon/Celeron Tualatin
- PIII Tualatin/Athlon XP