[SOLVED] CPU Hierarchy

May 23, 2020
Hello

I'm trying to build a new PC but getting so confused on what CPU to purchase. I read that Ryzen is better but a lot of machines seem to have the in 9700k in.

Does anyone have a grading chart for what CPU is better than what, not factoring in cost? I found an in 10700k for the same price as 9700k, 3900x and I'm so confused what to buy

Thanks

Solution
As mention earlier, don't over do it on the CPU for 4K gaming, a new Core i5 10600K and/or the Ryzen 7 3700X are more than enough. at those high resolution the GPU becomes the bottleneck and they CPU is "bascially" waiting for the GPU to send work for it to do.

Gamer Nexus posted a guide on how to turn a Core i5 10600K into (almost) a Core i9 10900K for gaming.

Also if youre thinking about it, Corssfire and SLI are not supported by any newish/new game, and theres no rumor nor anything that indicate those two are comin back anytime soon.

AMD is launching the new B550 motherboards soon. So its not a bad idea to wait a bit longer if you go the red team.

For the blue team, I would completely skip the 9th gen cpu unless you can find a...
May 23, 2020
Solely gaming really, I will do some multi tasking but I'm aiming at 4k gaming with best fps possible. A 2080super is the GPU I'm looking at though would drop to 2070 super in the hopes DLSS2.0 develops

The 2080 Super is better for 4k than the 2070S but even the 2080ti struggles with 4k.

If you really want to invest that kind of money in a gpu I'd wait for the 3000 series, maybe less expensive and better performance.

And for 4k, the cpu isn't the "bottleneck" it's the gpu. A 3700x would provide the same frame rates as a 3900x at 4k. Hmm, even a 3600 might provide the same fps at 4k.

Reactions: RodroX
As mention earlier, don't over do it on the CPU for 4K gaming, a new Core i5 10600K and/or the Ryzen 7 3700X are more than enough. at those high resolution the GPU becomes the bottleneck and they CPU is "bascially" waiting for the GPU to send work for it to do.

Gamer Nexus posted a guide on how to turn a Core i5 10600K into (almost) a Core i9 10900K for gaming.

Also if youre thinking about it, Corssfire and SLI are not supported by any newish/new game, and theres no rumor nor anything that indicate those two are comin back anytime soon.

AMD is launching the new B550 motherboards soon. So its not a bad idea to wait a bit longer if you go the red team.

For the blue team, I would completely skip the 9th gen cpu unless you can find a very, but has to be, a very good deal on the Core i9 9900K. For me thats the only thing worth buying for a gaming PC on that 9th gen.

Cheers

Solution