Question CPU high Idle temp and after boot up.

May 15, 2023
My Corsair h110i pump went out. I did not want a AIO anymore cause of pump going bad. So I started using the STOCK AMD COOLER that comes with the CPU. I cleaned the old thermal paste and reapplied a new coat. Turned it on and all of sudden BOOM very loud fan noises. I mean just at boot up. I was also just downloading a game and it was going up to 80c just with about 25% CPU usage. So, then I decided to get a Thermalight Peerless Assassin 120. Heard the reviews were great and I only have a 65w CPU. Installed it and same thing. It is driving my nuts on why the DAMN TEMP keeps going up. Did a quick GeekBench on the CPU and went as high as 109c. I guess I will clean up and reapply another set of thermal paste but not sure that is the issue. Is there anything else I can try?

My Corsair h110i pump went out. I did not want a AIO anymore cause of pump going bad. So I started using the STOCK AMD COOLER that comes with the CPU. I cleaned the old thermal paste and reapplied a new coat. Turned it on and all of sudden BOOM very loud fan noises. I mean just at boot up. I was also just downloading a game and it was going up to 80c just with about 25% CPU usage. So, then I decided to get a Thermalight Peerless Assassin 120. Heard the reviews were great and I only have a 65w CPU. Installed it and same thing. It is driving my nuts on why the DAMN TEMP keeps going up. Did a quick GeekBench on the CPU and went as high as 109c. I guess I will clean up and reapply another set of thermal paste but not sure that is the issue. Is there anything else I can try?

That new cooler should be way over minimum needed, most probably not having good contact or pressure, possibly some interference with nearby components like RAM or heat spreaders.

May 15, 2023
That new cooler should be way over minimum needed, most probably not having good contact or pressure, possibly some interference with nearby components like RAM or heat spreaders.
I will be trying this tonight. Removing it and apply new thermal paste and making sure there is contact.

May 15, 2023
I just want to say Thanks to everyone to replied back and try to help me out. I figured it out.

My dumbass self forgot to remove the plastic film that covers the bottom of the heat sink. Once i removed that and applied new thermal paste everything is working as it should.

Thanks again.

Reactions: helpstar
I just want to say Thanks to everyone to replied back and try to help me out. I figured it out.

My dumbass self forgot to remove the plastic film that covers the bottom of the heat sink. Once i removed that and applied new thermal paste everything is working as it should.

Thanks again.
Lol. I was going to ask about that but it may be considered an insult,
Anyway, sh**t happens.