Question CPU: high temp even on low usage!

Dec 10, 2020
Hi everyone, I need your help. My CPU is an Intel Core i7 8750H @ 2.20 GHz mounted on my Alienware M15 gaming laptop. It worked fine for several months, but then it started overheating even on the game menu section. For example, sometimes it goes to 85 °C with 17-18% of usage, going to 95-100 °C while gaming. I tried basically everything: I cleaned the fans, I put the thermal paste, both on CPU and GPU, twice in half a year and I did a clean Windows install as well. The most important and strange thing at the same time is that this doesn't happen when the laptop isn't plugged in, so I thought that the problem was the fact that the pc was charging the battery while running. But even removing the battery from it didn't work. I have no more ideas and I'd appreciate your help. Sorry if my english isn't that good.

Components list:
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 8750H @ 2.20 GHz
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (6 GB)
  • RAM: 16 GB Dual-Channel @ 1329 MHz
  • Motherboard: Alienware 0WCNK6 (U3E1)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Limitation of a laptop, really. Some are 'designed' (might be a stretch to say designed) to operate at some pretty high temperatures.

The difference between plugged in vs battery will be in the operating power plan - Likely "balanced" or "battery saver" on battery, potentially "high performance" when plugged in.

Unfortunately, not a whole lot that can be done beyond improving the paste etc. A laptop cooler might help, but ultimately, these types of systems are designed to run pretty hot.

Dec 10, 2020
Limitation of a laptop, really. Some are 'designed' (might be a stretch to say designed) to operate at some pretty high temperatures.

The difference between plugged in vs battery will be in the operating power plan - Likely "balanced" or "battery saver" on battery, potentially "high performance" when plugged in.

Unfortunately, not a whole lot that can be done beyond improving the paste etc. A laptop cooler might help, but ultimately, these types of systems are designed to run pretty hot.

I tried setting "Balanced" when plugged in as well but nothing changed. I already have a CM cooler but it's not enough apparently. If this laptop isn't designed as it should be, I don't understand why it worked fine for the first 10 months and then it started showing these problems. I mean, something must have changed to bring it to these conditions.

You might try tinkering with Intel's XTU settings, where it might be worth sacrificing 100-200 MHz on all core loadings to avoid 95C temps... ; a tiny undervolt might also be possible and help, especially in conjunction with a slight reduction in peak clock speeds. Use HWMonitor to find out what sustained turbo speeds you see under load, and, adjust the XTU desired multiplier down a notch or two..

Dec 10, 2020
if it's running cooler in passive cooling. that means you're just using the heatsink - is the fan actually turning? and have you checked the RPMs in HWINFO or a similar utility? a fan with a burnt out bearing can run hot. (it becomes essentially a resistor)

Apparently HWINFO doesn't let me to monitor the fans. They're turning for sure tho!