General95

Prominent
Aug 11, 2021
CPU : Core 2 Duo E8400 New and only had used for 4 months

Yesterday while i was playing a game (Counter Strike Source, Run fast 60fps usually) my CPU FAN stopped spinning which cussed a high temp, like more then 90C ! and it took me 2-3 minutes to SHUTDOWN the PC, i cleaned the case and the fan And put thermal paste, Now the temp on idle is 75, on game is 85 and the game is lagging for sure, the FAN was running so slow (700 RPM), so i decided to change the FAN, so i got a new one with (2700RPM) And put thermal paste, the temp is now 10 degrees less only, idle is 65, on game is 75-80 and TOO much fps drop.

Now the question is:
-Does the CPU has been broken because of the 2-3 minutes to SHUTDOWN the PC!

I don't need a new cooler because the old cooler was doing the job very well in the past! and i already did buy a new one and it didn't work as i said, so please i need a solution.

Last edited:

General95

Prominent
Aug 11, 2021
and this cooler is?
They call it a stock fan,
One more thing, please don't tell me to buy a good aftermarket cooler because that is not the solution, it would be a solution if i bought my CPU and the temperature is high from the beginning.

My CPU temperature was so good and a garbage fan was able to cool the CPU for a long time.

General95

Prominent
Aug 11, 2021
what fan did you change to?
could be you didn't put the thermal paste correctly or didn't put the cooler tight enough
A regular stock fan

I did put the thermal paste correctly, the fan is super tight and not shaking at all, please you all say the same thing on other "high temp threads/posts" but you guys don't make a solution in the end.

CPU : Core 2 Duo E8400 New and only had used for 4 months

Yesterday while i was playing a game (Counter Strike Source, Run fast 60fps usually) my CPU FAN stopped spinning which cussed a high temp, like more then 90C ! and it took me 2-3 minutes to SHUTDOWN the PC, i cleaned the case and the fan And put thermal paste, Now the temp on idle is 75, on game is 85 and the game is lagging for sure, the FAN was running so slow (700 RPM), so i decided to change the FAN, so i got a new one with (2700RPM) And put thermal paste, the temp is now 10 degrees less only, idle is 65, on game is 75-80 and TOO much fps drop.

Now the question is:
-Does the CPU has been broken because of the 2-3 minutes to SHUTDOWN the PC!

I don't need a new cooler because the old cooler was doing the job very well in the past! and i already did buy a new one and it didn't work as i said, so please i need a solution.

One question, How do you know that when the fan stopped spining the temp was above 90°C? Where you runing some sort of monitoring software while gaming?, Whats was the gaming temp before this issue?

If your idle temp is 65°C with this "new" cooler, then something is very wrong with the cooler installation, or your monitoring software is not the best one, or the CPU/Mobo are not working as intended.

Are you overclocking this CPU?

Whats the rest of your system, mobo, ram, gpu, psu (brand and model)?

General95

Prominent
Aug 11, 2021
One question, How do you know that when the fan stopped spining the temp was above 90°C? Where you runing some sort of monitoring software while gaming?, Whats was the gaming temp before this issue?

If your idle temp is 65°C with this "new" cooler, then something is very wrong with the cooler installation, or your monitoring software is not the best one, or the CPU/Mobo are not working as intended.

Are you overclocking this CPU?

Whats the rest of your system, mobo, ram, gpu, psu (brand and model)?
My spec :
Core 2 Duo E8400
Gigabyte G41M-Combo vr 1.3
2×2G ddr2
PSU not sure how much watts, not written anywhere.
No GPU

Are you overclocking this CPU? NO, I'm not.
I knew the temp, becuase I closed the game then i took a look at HW Monitor, Speccy.
Like I said, it took me like 2-3 minutes to take a quick look at the temp and shutting the PC off.

Oh man :( the temp the day before yesterday, like 2-3 days ago, it was good, 55°C maximum when gaming. It's just Counter strike source.
On idle was 39-45°C, with the Old Trash Fan.
Everything happened when the Trash fan stopped working suddenly!
So like you said, the CPU are not working as intended.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
I think OP is using the stock intel cooler, and based on my experience with those, 70c plus under load is not unlikely. But 60c at idle is not normal.

perhaps you didn’t install the cooler properly?

Reactions: RodroX

General95

Prominent
Aug 11, 2021
I think OP is using the stock intel cooler, and based on my experience with those, 70c plus under load is not unlikely. But 60c at idle is not normal.

perhaps you didn’t install the cooler properly?
OK, lets end this, I SWEAR i did %100 CORRECTLY INSTALL THE COOLER. fan run at its maximum RPM 2700, i did put a thermal paste.
THE issue is from my CPU, the CPU are not working as intended because of the high temp suddenly for a 2-3 minutes.
the solution is replacing the CPU and buying a new one.
you know what? this issue happened to me before, to my Intel Pentium 4, but not because the fan stopped spinning, the old CPU begin to overheat, i replaced with the current CPU, and the problem fixed. thats it.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
OK, lets end this, I SWEAR i did %100 CORRECTLY INSTALL THE COOLER. fan run at its maximum RPM 2700, i did put a thermal paste.
THE issue is from my CPU, the CPU are not working as intended because of the high temp suddenly for a 2-3 minutes.
the solution is replacing the CPU and buying a new one.
you know what? this issue happened to me before, to my Intel Pentium 4, but not because the fan stopped spinning, the old CPU begin to overheat, i replaced with the current CPU, and the problem fixed. thats it.

you don’t have to be rude about it.

its easy to get mistaken that it was installed correctly, just because it is tight. Theres a possibility that you did not press the clips correctly.

well if you had this issue before, and have solved it, and know how to solve it why did you ask for advice in the first place!?

By the way, somebody correct me if im wrong. But ive never heard of a malfunctioning cpu overheat. It might be something else.

but, oh the op might have the solution already and is just trolling the forums. Why bother trying to help him do a complete troubleshoot.

General95

Prominent
Aug 11, 2021
you don’t have to be rude about it.

its easy to get mistaken that it was installed correctly, just because it is tight. Theres a possibility that you did not press the clips correctly.

well if you had this issue before, and have solved it, and know how to solve it why did you ask for advice in the first place!?

By the way, somebody correct me if im wrong. But ive never heard of a malfunctioning cpu overheat. It might be something else.

but, oh the op might have the solution already and is just trolling the forums. Why bother trying to help him do a complete troubleshoot.
Ok I'm sorry, I didn't meant to be rude, I'm just sad because i don't want to replace my current CPU and buy new one, I opened the theard to see more ideas and new solutions.
Thank you all for helping.

By the way, It's not a stock Intel cooler, it's a regular stock cooler.

Reactions: SamirD

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Ok I'm sorry, I didn't meant to be rude, I'm just sad because i don't want to replace my current CPU and buy new one, I opened the theard to see more ideas and new solutions.

No problem, let’s just try to see what could be wrong with your pc.

again, somebody correct me if im wrong. But a cpu doesn’t usually overheat if it’s malfunctioning, it malfunctions because of overheating.

If you are 100% sure that the cooler is in correctly and you did not do (intentional or accidental) overclocking or messed with cpu voltages, then something else may be causing your problem.

may i know what the brand or model number of your psu is? A faulty psu could potentially be frying your other components.

General95

Prominent
Aug 11, 2021
No problem, let’s just try to see what could be wrong with your pc.

again, somebody correct me if im wrong. But a cpu doesn’t usually overheat if it’s malfunctioning, it malfunctions because of overheating.

If you are 100% sure that the cooler is in correctly and you did not do (intentional or accidental) overclocking or messed with cpu voltages, then something else may be causing your problem.

may i know what the brand or model number of your psu is? A faulty psu could potentially be frying your other components.
pmvoQJDZj

This is a picture of the PSU.
And I think that it malfunctioned because of overheating.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Unfortunately, i could not find much information about your psu. Typically, bad quality psus cause all sorts of problems.

because if you say that you had this problem before, and had to replace the cpu it means something is causing it to overheat. in this case, im suspecting that the psu is the cause.

a low quality psu could potentially have no protection circuit to protect your other components in case it goes kaput.

although this is just my theory, but your psu might be causing an over voltage situation. That would explain the overheating… but if that is true, then that means your motherboard is also broken.

in any case, i still highly recommend that you get a good psu. It would protect all your other components from potential damage.

One question and I do not know if ever thought about it but, since this already happend to you 4 months ago, Is it posible perhaps to think is time for a new platform?, And even if you can afford it, a brand new PC?, Nothing fancy just the "enough" system to run CS.

I do not know if this is a posibility for you, I mean to make this kind of expense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jmi20

Apology accepted. And even though you say the cooler was installed correctly, that's still my highest suspect. Maybe it is only good for 35w tdp and your cpu is 65w?

The other thing is that you mentioned the cpu was new--there are no new e8400 processors except fakes possibly running malware (which would keep it hot). A genuine used one should be $5 usd if you can get one of those instead. And if you want a nice upgrade the e8500 or e8600 are even faster and should work fine too. (I have systems running both and they're snappy thanks to the fast single thread performance.)

Reactions: General95

General95

Prominent
Aug 11, 2021
Apology accepted. And even though you say the cooler was installed correctly, that's still my highest suspect. Maybe it is only good for 35w tdp and your cpu is 65w?

The other thing is that you mentioned the cpu was new--there are no new e8400 processors except fakes possibly running malware (which would keep it hot). A genuine used one should be $5 usd if you can get one of those instead. And if you want a nice upgrade the e8500 or e8600 are even faster and should work fine too. (I have systems running both and they're snappy thanks to the fast single thread performance.)
The problem fixed itself! i just found my PC slowly returning to the Best temp, Slowly. and you won't believe me if i told you that actually my pc is now faster then ever lmao
Past, i was getting 58.4 FPS in Counter Strike Source High Settings, now i'm getting 58.25 FPS! Funny, Not much but the fact is the fps is now better then ever. I'm happy now. :tearsofjoy: I'm not trolling btw, i speake for real, the temp is way better then before.

jasechiu

Prominent
Dec 3, 2019
The problem fixed itself! i just found my PC slowly returning to the Best temp, Slowly. and you won't believe me if i told you that actually my pc is now faster then ever lmao
Past, i was getting 58.4 FPS in Counter Strike Source High Settings, now i'm getting 58.25 FPS! Funny, Not much but the fact is the fps is now better then ever. I'm happy now. :tearsofjoy: I'm not trolling btw, i speake for real, the temp is way better then before.
Surprisingly you still use Core 2 Duo E8400. Not being rude. I just think it's just cool even in 2021. Keep it up, buddy.

Reactions: General95
Hmmm...I'd check for malware then because something was probably mining on your system or doing something else nefarious.