girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi, I just had a call from a friend about his AMD K6II 400 crashing often. He tried to scan the disk, try installing win98 and what not. The computer was on all the time until I reached his place, for about 5-6 hrs.

And first thing I did was to open the chassis and check whether the HS/F is running. I wasnt!! Just as I touched the heast sink fins my fingers got burnt, leaving the marks of the fins on them. I guess it was about 90-95+ deg. celcius.

Now the machine dint even boot, I thought the CPU is dead, and I took it to my place to checkout on my K6II machine.

And would you believe it, this AMD cpu, running at 98 deg.C, for almost 5 hrs, was still working!!!

I ran a few tests from BCM diags and SiSoft Sandra, and found no problem with that.

Just read a post of somebost saying a CPU lasting for 10 seconds. This AMD K6II almost went through the hell for 5 hrs and came back absolutely fine.

Anybody with similar stories? Just as survey as to how much a CPU can be stressed practically!

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I've heard of people running their athlon's for a couple of hours before they found out they needed a heatsink.
It's amazing what some of those little ceramic blocks can take.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
there is alot of taboo about AMD chips not standing high temperatures. basicaly i think its aboout their high power consumption and small surface area to dissipate the heat.

this makes it necessary to get a good high quality HS/F for them. but still its always some time before one realises the importance of heat sink.

and some people really make very frieghtful stories about this issue that some prospective buyer might be dettered away from AMD chips.

there may be some cases where the CPUs might have been stressed more than mine, and survived that. Not certainly 10 secs as one did mention!

girish

G

ugghhh! just called instance of ie to re-read your post and lost text... can't believe I gotta do this again!
got abit kt7 (is one more argument for composing posts/emails in local text editor 1st... hold on...)
okay! got abit kt7 w. athlon 750 last fall, immediately voided warranty by closing L1 bridges,
out of impatience resunk w. Radio Shak thermal compound, overclocked to 913 and 943 though generic RAM required more and more reductions in timing (there are any number of reasons to think it was the RAM that am not getting into) abit kt7 comes w. software hardware temperature
monitor... CPU peaked at 54/55C (fluct.) on internet w. several instances of ie5.5 loaded to overclocking sites, Diabloii (playing w. vigor) and SoulReaver loaded to try to force disk swapping by switching to, Prime95 running, and frequent window swapping to get at hardware monitor and
sites!
was fine
point is win98-type answering machine software raises CPU temp. by 14/15C just by running! (wasn't during above overclocking for obvious reasons)
don't recall the CPU overheat warnings in the modem-soft docs.!
as well, the current ceiling is around 51 and sometimes 52 at the "factory" setting of 750 with as much use as can think of though am going to be interested to see what Linux
says as soon as I get a chance to (con)figure the monitor software for it...
hear that modern chips can endure 80C operating temps. (though not advised at all for any period of time) remember hearing a "rule-of-thumb" for engineering... something... to include at least a "33%" overhead in a given design (don't know if I said that right)
this seems as might be source of truth in "AMD scare" as a ceiling of 50C would, by what I thinking over here, means 75C max. tolerance ?!
realize heat events are non-linear
does anyone know a good reference to a chip-heat-dissipation group/page/etc?
(please excuse my ignorance)
is nice to hear of a processor surviving the edge of disaster!
food for thought...

G

My k6-2 fan was dyuing and my power supply fan died
and the cpu was right behing the power supply

and i check my temp once
it was 85 c

works fine thou

that power supply sure got hot

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
so is this 50C ceiling no AMD CPUs real? heard a lot of roar against it, and my Duron did at times got beyond 54C, then I removed the pressure pads and reinstalled the same HSF, it was back to 45C again. Now its always stable at 45, at the most 46.

btw you can get a lot of info on thermal design on intel and AMD sites, pertaining to individual processors, especially the intel tech journal at http://developer.intel.com/technology/itj/
and the AMD processor pages at http://www1.amd.com/products/cpg/thermals/

girish

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I wonder if AMDMeltdown has seen this thread. Perhaps he is intentionally avoiding it.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
my friends coworker forgot to plug the fan in on the heatsink for a 1 ghz atholon

i ran a couple of hour no problems.
the way they found out it was unpluged was when another preson overlooked it before the customer got in saw that it wasn't pluged in

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
At least you had a heat sink! That is what saved you. AMD admits that the Athlon will fry in only seconds without a heatsink and a fan. I would guess that the higher the Mhz, the faster to burn!

No big deals here. Simply attach a heatsink, and plug in the fan.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
not really, I was expecting a longer list of "lucky ones" but all I see is a couple and a few "me toos!"

the fact remains that if you forget to properly seat your hsf you will lose your investment in less than 10secs and every AMD website will agree with me on this.

Should it be repeated over and over? of course!

also, running a k6 or k7 without the hsf turned on will surely cause physical damage to your cpu, this is will degrade performance, known fact.

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, no matter how and why, if the cooling mechanism of the cpu fails, its bound to get hotter and hotter, and more closer to the edge of death. and it applies to intel and cyrix chips as well.

just because intel hsf comes factory attatched to the cpu, its more secure and safe. if you know the tray version of INTEL cpu that does not come with hsf, that you need to buy a separate one and mount it on the cpu - its too liable for damages of similar scales.

so i expect some intel stories too in this thread...

what do you say AmdMeltDown, fugger?

best regds.
girish

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
how many AMD cores have been crushed as of now?
i think people are just highlighting a few of such cases too much. there could be similar intel stories, and i have seen at least one (a P700 FCPGA while installing the tough HSF with a screw driver - the screwdriver slipped, ran thro the motherboard, and damaged the cpu core. the damage was not visible, but the cpu never again saw any bootup)

intel cpus no doubt run cooler, but it does not mean they are indestructible under high temperature.

girish

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
thats older PPGA P3s, now those come in FCPGA packaging - and they have their cores exposed that makes them delicate. and you have to mount the fan that comes with it. its hard and you need to use a screwdriver and a lot of pressure to fit it. pressure is necessary since higher pressure reduces thermal resistance. but the same high pressure assmebly is liable for damages if not done properly, same case as AMD chips.

Makaveli

Splendid
I'm not suprised @ the k6 2 running without a Heatsink
But try that with a 900 or 1000mhz+ Athlon
I think u'll be buying a new Cpu maybe not 10sec flat but it will burn out no doubt!
LOL I was @ a friends house and he broke the little plastic pieces on his socket, trying to upgrade his P3 866 to a 1000mhz. And then he started the computer without the heatsink. LOL then he wondered why the computer keep locking up and sometimes shutting down. P3 temp was 220f

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
True the cores are exposed, but they still use plastic. Plastic is more flexible, so they do have a little "give" to them. Also, I have never crushed one.

Suicide is painless...........