Question Cpu high temps

Jul 5, 2022
Hey everyone ! I have a ryzen 5 5600x , and recently after I changed my gpu from 1650 to rtx 3060 , and after I changed my power supply from 500 watt to 650 , my cpu temps started to reach very high levels , in the desktop I get 60 c and If i play game it reaches 90 c , I use an amd fan cooler , I recently put a limit on my cpu temps (65c) , so is this safe ?? Does it affect my cpu?? And should I change my cpu cooler?? Note that none of the other components has this problem .

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your PSU's? Link to the GPU's you were working with and the GPU you swapped to? Make and model of your motherboard? BIOS version for said motherboard? Did you uninstall your drivers prior to removing the GTX1650 in preparation for your RTX3060? Stock cooler that comes with the Ryzen 5 5600x? Ambient room air temps? Make and model of your case and it's airflow/fan orientation?

Name of the game you tax the system with?

KyaraM

Admirable
Hmmm, a stronger GPU can of course lead to higher CPU temps, especially since it produces more heat which can affect the CPU. How were your temps before you changed your GPU? Did it increase more than a handful degrees? Did you maybe accidentally knocked the cooler lose while switching out cards or something? I would definitely check that the cooler is still tight. Also, if you are using the AMD stock cooler, you might want to upgrade it regardless of what the issue for the rise in temperatures is. Stock coolers aren't very good in general, they are basically "just good enough" to keep the chip running. You can increase the temperature limit to 75 or 80, btw, those are still safe temps if at the upper limit.

Reactions: AgentBirdnest
Jul 5, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your PSU's? Link to the GPU's you were working with and the GPU you swapped to? Make and model of your motherboard? BIOS version for said motherboard? Did you uninstall your drivers prior to removing the GTX1650 in preparation for your RTX3060? Stock cooler that comes with the Ryzen 5 5600x? Ambient room air temps? Make and model of your case and it's airflow/fan orientation?

Name of the game you tax the system with?
Psu = rm650 , 650watt , +80 gold
1650super > 3060
Mobo = b550f wifi
Latest bios update
I did uninstall the prior drivers and installed the new ones
Yes the regular ryzen 5 5600x cooler
My room is usually cold
Case = antec nx600

alexbirdie

Respectable
Standard amd-cooler should be substituted by a better one.
I prefer AIOs, other people prefer air-coolers, therefore no suggestion from me.

How many fans installed?

2 in front intaking and rear fan exhausting would be great. Can you open the frontpanel?
If yes, temps better?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There's no direct cool air intake for the Wraith cooler, which wasn't really a problem with the ol' GTX 1650. 75-100w board power, depending on the model.
If you were using an open air gpu model, it was the closest 'cool air intake' for the Wraith.

Then you replaced that card with a 3060. 180-240w board power, depending on the model. HUGE jump - around 2.5 times more power.
If the new card is also open air, the Wraith sucks in the heat expelled from it.

Downdraft air coolers(the type the Wraith is) are behind the times. They're from a time when side panel ventilation and blower/turbo gpu coolers were more common.
With tempered glass panels and open air gpus being what's 'in', the little downdrafts get crapped on.
You need a new cooler: either a tower air cooler or 240mm AIO.

Reactions: KyaraM
Jul 5, 2022
There's no direct cool air intake for the Wraith cooler, which wasn't really a problem with the ol' GTX 1650. 75-100w board power, depending on the model.
If you were using an open air gpu model, it was the closest 'cool air intake' for the Wraith.

Then you replaced that card with a 3060. 180-240w board power, depending on the model. HUGE jump - around 2.5 times more power.
If the new card is also open air, the Wraith sucks in the heat expelled from it.

Downdraft air coolers(the type the Wraith is) are behind the times. They're from a time when side panel ventilation and blower/turbo gpu coolers were more common.
With tempered glass panels and open air gpus being what's 'in', the little downdrafts get crapped on.
You need a new cooler: either a tower air cooler or 240mm AIO.
yeah I am just low on the budget right now , but I just want to know if putting a limit on the cpu's performance safe

Jul 5, 2022
Umm, why wouldn't it be? That's like a warrior changing from leather armor to heavy iron armor - defenses went way up, but mobility dropped off a cliff.
lol that's a great metaphor , ok thank you , for now I'mma keep my pc under 66c , and in the near future I may change to a good cooling fam