CPU hits 80 when playing games. Never did this before 2 new RAM sticks?

Feb 9, 2019
Hi,

So today, I added 8 more GB of RAM to my PC, bringing it up to 16 GB. I noticed my temps getting higher, i was idling in the high 50s, and when playing a game, I was at 80.I am not even sure if this is dangerously high, but it was concerning. Is it possible i added too much RAM into my PC? I built it in 2015. Here are the specs -

Intel Core i5 4690K @ 3.50GHz
ASRock - Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
8 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (EVGA)
G.Skill - Ripjaws X Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Corsair - H100i 77 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

I am not great with hardware, so I apologize if this is obvious.

50+C for an idle is a bit high, and, 80C under a gaming load is not dangerous, but, it is higher than one would expect, as most well cooled CPUs from that generation are more typically at sub-70C with just gaming loads, and, at ~35C under idle. Certainly another pair of RAM sticks activates more connections/throughput to the CPU, and the CPU might be able to 'breathe' a bit better with 16 GB over it's earlier 8 GB...

(If your AIO is more than 18-24 months old, many will lose some effectiveness/deteriorate over time because of hard water deposits, and/or algae-like build up inside the pump, etc...)

Certainly, 16 GB is not 'too much' for a Z97 board.....

Scott Wayne

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
yes its easy to bump the cpu make sure its tight the paste is fine if it still gets hot use a box fan on it with the tower cover off some time when you game a lot this is about the only trick that works.and keep your room cool if it gets too hot it hits the cpu temp and hardrive temp hard

You can certainly check that the pump is still uniformly locked down, or, apply some new paste...

It is not uncommon for many to begin failing at the 18-24 month point, some last longer, some less....

If your chassis allows a decently high heatsink/fan assembly, I'd go that route... (Mugen Scythe, Noctua, etc..)

InvalidError

Titan
So do you believe my cooler is the problem? Could it have been bumped while I installed the new RAM, or the paste is old?
Old paste is fine, most pastes will last indefinitely as long as they aren't disturbed by shock, twisting, tugging, etc. which may break the paste layer after it has fully settled and that's where the problems start.

With liquid cooling, accidentally tugging the hoses is all it takes to break the paste. Fresh paste won't mind because the interface still contains enough oil and loose particles to accommodate the movement, old "fully cured" paste on the other hand where most of the interface has gone solid won't appreciate it.