Question CPU hitting 100% sometimes

Oct 4, 2022
Below are my specs:
Sometimes my cpu is hitting 100% and my entire computer is freezing up. I play minecraft a lot and will go to the task manager and change it to only using 4 cores. I don't know if this helps, but I read somewhere online to try it. However minecraft isn't the only time it happens. I ran the /sfc scannow and all it found was a onedrive link that had to be fixed (I don't use one drive). I also ran malwarebytes and it found nothing. Any suggestions would be appreciated, as this machine used to run wonderfully (I've had it about 3 years)

Alienware 17 R4
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7820HK CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.9 GB usable)
System type Windows 10, 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
AntiVirus Windows Defender

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you check and see what version(not edition) of Windows 10 you're on? As for your laptop, do you have the latest BIOS version installed for said laptop's motherboard? Memoryleak can be one possible culprit, the only way around that issue is to perform a clean reinstall of the OS, after recreating your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

Oct 4, 2022
Is this what you want about Windows? (below). The bios is the latest up to date from the Alienware update software. I can perform a clean install, I did this about a year ago when I got a new 2tb ssd nvme I think it what it is called. If I do a clean reinstall, I will lose everything, right?:
Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎2/‎7/‎2022
OS build 19044.1586
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0

Reactions: MEMOFLEX

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
I had this issue on my older pc while playing cod mw 2020, back when I used to play it.
The only fix I could find via internet resources was to set the max cpu usage to 99%, rather than 100%, in the Windows advanced power settings.
After applying this, the usage never went above 75% give or take. I blamed activision/devs at the time, but if you're having the same issue with Minecraft, maybe it's a system specific issue, or a widespread optimization issue with older cpus. Mine was 4th gen at the time, though.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Also, I can't open outlook while minecraft is running and sometimes I can't open folders when the cpu is 100%
Exactly. Imagine you running down the road, as fast as you can make your feet go, giving everything you have. Then put on a sweatshirt at the same time. Not gonna happen.

Now walk down the same road, putting on a sweatshirt at the same time isn't all that difficult.

That's the difference between 100% usage and anything lower, at 100% the cpu has no room to do anything extra, no time, no resources, nothing. It's all used up in the game.

Changing max cpu to 99% disables Turbo, which drastically lowers cpu speeds and fps. Lower fps means lower overall usage, not 100%, so there's some room to maneuver.

Oct 4, 2022
Exactly. Imagine you running down the road, as fast as you can make your feet go, giving everything you have. Then put on a sweatshirt at the same time. Not gonna happen.

Now walk down the same road, putting on a sweatshirt at the same time isn't all that difficult.

That's the difference between 100% usage and anything lower, at 100% the cpu has no room to do anything extra, no time, no resources, nothing. It's all used up in the game.

Changing max cpu to 99% disables Turbo, which drastically lowers cpu speeds and fps. Lower fps means lower overall usage, not 100%, so there's some room to maneuver.
Could you tell me how to do that please?

TRENDING THREADS