Cpu Hitting 90C HELP

IAmLion6

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016
I recently had a computer built by my Girlfriends father. I myself am fairly computer literate but he is much more experienced with building systems. The system is a ASUS P8Z68-V motherboard with an I7 2600k chip. When I got the system it ran great and it still does. It seems to have no flaws. I wanted to make sure the temperatures of the GPU were okay while gaming so I downloaded a monitor tool called "Open Hardware Monitor" When I checked the GPU temp it was perfect, but I noticed the CPU Cores hitting 90C Max while playing the new Star Wars. I even found one core that hit 96C Max... My girlfriends Dad told me to go buy a better cooler as the system was only using a stock Intel cooler. I looked online and found stock or not it shouldn't be running that hot. I tried re-seating the Cpu, then I tried cleaning the CPU and re applying thermal paste, but it made no difference.. I went out today and bought a water cooler. I installed the new cooler and it helped the temps a bit but the cores are still hitting 80C with a CORSAIR Hydro Series H60... I'm almost positive it's installed right. I noticed on the hardware monitor there are a few different readings. There is a tab for what my motherboard is saying the CPU temp is then there is a tab where my CPU is telling me what its temp is. The Motherboard tab Says the Core CPU Temp is 40C right now. The I7 tab says the Cpu Package temp is 54c right now. Should I be worried about the temps, would the sensors maybe be off? If someone could please give there input on if this is okay that would be great. By the way the CPU is overclocked to 4.2GHZ so it will not bottle neck when I play games... I tried setting the clock speed back to stock but it didn't help the temps much so I just left it overclocked. Thank you.

It shouldn't blue screen even if it reaches 100°C; that's the purpose of throttling and shutdown if the cooler comes off. I've never had a BSOD when throttling an Intel CPU.

IAmLion6

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016
My room is 14c right now! I actually measured it, I left my window open by mistake lol so my temps weren't as bad this morning. Here's a link to a screen shot of what my temps were last night. http://imgur.com/c4liEWP

People clock an 17 2600k up to 5ghz... Mines at 4.2 with a water cooler. I don't understand why it must run so hot. The screen shot is a moderate example, with the a stress test the cores hit 80c

A 59°C delta isn't bad, but the Intel CPU stress test doesn't really stress anything. I'd rather see all core temperatures in XTU (configure hardware monitors) while running Prime95 Small FFTs; then you'll know if the cooler does its job or not. The version of Prime95 has no effect on that older CPU; the latest version should not make it run really hot.

IAmLion6

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016
I'll do that then post it. Okay I did something pretty stupid... Finally got into the BIOS, its different then my previous systems... I'm not the one who originally overclocked the system so I thought maybe it was a bad overclock... I finally figured out how to get into the BIOS... I tried to find an option to turn the overclock off but I couldn't... there was an option for "Asus Auto Overclock" I thought maybe if I let Asus do it for me it would fix it and take human error out of the equation... IT DIDN'T, When I booted, the auto overclock set the overclock HIGHER and it set the voltage to like 1.480 or something just stupid... I ran a stress test and all the cores jumped to 98C I immediately restarted the computer and went back into the BIOS and looked harder for how to reset the overclock again which I didn't find. I saw the Ratio was set to 43... so I dialed it back to 34 which I believe is around stock? Maybe someone could answer that for me.

After booting up all my cores are running UNDER 30C! there all mid-high 20 Degrees, and my voltage is at like .987 with a max currently at 1.176 But keep in mind my ambient temp is still 19 degrees C

I think I need to find a way to overclock without increasing the voltage so much... Because as the ratio increases so does the voltage?

I'll download Prime85 and post an image of my results

IAmLion6

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016
I ran prime 95 for 30 minutes and this is what I got http://imgur.com/OV7XDwl after I closed prime 95 my temperatures immediately dropped down to this http://imgur.com/CXVgPgm Pease keep in mind my ambient temperature of the room is VERY LOW and my CPU is actually slightly UNDER CLOCKED right now. SO would you say the water cooler is working properly with these results... Thank you for the help, I greatly appreciate that some random stranger is actually willing to take the time to help me.

Does Intel XTU show the same temperatures for all cores? For comparison purposes only, my i7-3770 (77W) at 3.7 GHz, ambient 23°C, stock cooler and Prime95 28.5 Small FFTs reaches 85°C on the hottest core (I always use Intel XTU to check the cores temperature).

The i7-2600K (95W) requires a bit more cooling, but I'd expect a CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 cooler to perform better than that and keep the delta below 50°C as achieved with a 130W CPU in this review: http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/corsair_h60_aio_review/5

IAmLion6

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016
No it doesn't seem to give any temperatures. I could look online to see if there is a version that will give me my temperatures then re-run the test. this is really Irritating. Once my apartment finally heats back up I know my temps will be quite a bit warmer as well... I want to say maybe the h60 I have is defective but before the H60 my stock cooler was running BLAZING hot as well. Maybe the processor is just messed up... I'm tempted to re-seat the H60 but I have no thermal paste.

I have several systems and none has an issue like that; they only reach expected temperatures with the installed cooler. The stock cooler is the one that came with the CPU when it was brand new or one that was provided by the seller (a used CPU may have been sold with a different and less powerful Intel cooler)?