Question CPU holding back my gpu??

Feb 13, 2019
Hey Guys, I had a thread on gpu, because I thought it was my gpu that results in those bad fps( I have a ryzen 2600x OC to 4.1), I explained how my gpu and cpu run at 40% and they are not even close to the fps my game is capped too, I did some troubleshooting there, but going deeper into my task manager, i found that only two threads (I well I believe that what they are) actually go to 100 underload and all other threads just idle at 20%... I Have my game set to low setting since I only care about frames not quality (I do have a 240hz monitor). Well I know alot of people might tell me that the fps that I am getting (avg 190) is more than enough, but again when playing mutilplayer and alot of action is going on my fps drops to 60 and usage is unaffected but again those are if the game is crazy busy at the end

My Computer Specs are

Ryzen 5 2600x
GTX 1070ti cerberus
Strix B450-f MotherBoard
16 gb of 3200 trident z ram
WD Blue SSD
and Finally a 650W power supply

I have tried alot of optimization tips and trick, but again they were all gpu focused.

Thanks In Advanced!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well those threads are what's holding you back.
2600x + 1070ti is a great combo, but for the particular game your playing + that high refresh monitor, 4.1ghz may not be fast enough.
An Intel cpu - 8th or 9th gen - would've been a better match for that high of a framerate.

Feb 13, 2019
Well those threads are what's holding you back.
2600x + 1070ti is a great combo, but for the particular game your playing + that high refresh monitor, 4.1ghz may not be fast enough.
An Intel cpu - 8th or 9th gen - would've been a better match for that high of a framerate.
mhm do you mind to elaborate why wouldnt it be a good combo? I did know before hand that an intel 8th gen would be better for gaming, but as the same time I really wanted those extra threads for streaming. As well what doesnt make sense to me, is why wont my cpu runs at a 100%? (sorry I am not the knowledgeable on fps, since this is my first gaming pc (moved from console)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I didn't say it wasn't a good combo, reread my post... and 190fps is darn good.
You are being held back by the 2600x's single core speed.
So how much of your cpu's resources are used is entirely dependent on how they programmed the app/game. From what I gathered from your initial post, the game in question is only really using 2 of them.
You've got them clocked to 4.1ghz, and are getting an average of 190fps, but you want more... and to get more, you need more speed.
I would imagine that you can't get much more speed out of that cpu - maybe you can, but you have to test it.
The Intel equivalent to the 2600x, the 8700k, has a higher IPC(instructions per clock), and can easily turbo a good deal higher - capable of a 5ghz OC. That will easily net over 200fps average, and close to the 240 you wish to achieve.

Feb 13, 2019
I didn't say it wasn't a good combo, reread my post... and 190fps is darn good.
You are being held back by the 2600x's single core speed.
So how much of your cpu's resources are used is entirely dependent on how they programmed the app/game. From what I gathered from your initial post, the game in question is only really using 2 of them.
You've got them clocked to 4.1ghz, and are getting an average of 190fps, but you want more... and to get more, you need more speed.
I would imagine that you can't get much more speed out of that cpu - maybe you can, but you have to test it.
The Intel equivalent to the 2600x, the 8700k, has a higher IPC(instructions per clock), and can easily turbo a good deal higher - capable of a 5ghz OC. That will easily net over 200fps average, and close to the 240 you wish to achieve.
I see your point, and defiantly, I did OC to 4.2 and I did see a very big jump in fps, this is a good lesson for my next build, thanks for clearing it out!! and I was comparing amd to intel 8400 since they are both priced close enough, unlike the 8700k. Overall I do see your point, and I do know 190 is pretty darn good, but I was just curious why wasnt I seeing higher usage. Well I do now understand that there is no higher usage. Cheers!!