[SOLVED] CPU hot in water cooled loop

Nico_202

Prominent
Feb 20, 2019
Hi all,
so here's my question, I have an i5-8600k OK'd to 4.9 (stable), an RTX 2060 with homemade watercooling, Gigabyte Aurous Z390 Pro, with a D5 pump, ResX 250, 1 360 rad running push on the front of the case, and a 240 exhausting push on the top, all in a coolermaster H500P Mesh.
so when I run benchmarks all is good, CPU gets around 50-55, GPU gets around 45-50, however when I run games, everything is all good apart from CPU, which hits around 75-80, while all other components are steady around 55-60.
I have checked the spread pattern on the cpu and block, and while it is not perfectly even (a little thinner in the centre) it seems ok.
so my question is, should I lap the head spreader on the cpu, or maybe try using the new graphite thermal pad, as something is clearly not right.

any thoughts or tips would be welcome.

Cheers
N

Solution
Sounds like your overclock is using more vCore than you might need. Also, remember that overclocking requires your components to use more power than stock, per clock cycle. This means higher temps. 8600k also uses that junk thermal compound, so the CPU core temp readings and thermal load doesn't transfer as well to the IHS where your CPU block is seated. The junk thermal paste exacerbates your load temps the more you overclock. This is why a lot of guys delid these CPUs.
May 4, 2019
First thing to do is to check the CPU power v. temperatures. A single variable does not make for a meaningful inquiry or diagnosis. Maybe the games draw more power than the benchmarks.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Sounds like your overclock is using more vCore than you might need. Also, remember that overclocking requires your components to use more power than stock, per clock cycle. This means higher temps. 8600k also uses that junk thermal compound, so the CPU core temp readings and thermal load doesn't transfer as well to the IHS where your CPU block is seated. The junk thermal paste exacerbates your load temps the more you overclock. This is why a lot of guys delid these CPUs.

Solution