[SOLVED] CPU hot instantly

Dreamable

Honorable
Oct 3, 2016
I just had bought a used PC someone, he said it's one month old and didn't want it anymore, when I set it on my desk I noticed the the fan that was supposed to be over the CPU was hanging off so I reattached it, I ran csgo and was happy with results but I noticed the fan got louder when I either opened something or launched a game I downloaded a program to see the heat and I was worried so I googled and checked the normal hest for idol and In game, my idol hest is 40-58 C and in game it's 100 and yeah I turned off the PC and rebooted it after awhile, I noticed that basically instantly when I opened csgo the fan went crazy and I checked CPU and it's at 100 C. Bums me out but yeah. Is it the CPU it's self? Or what. In total it has 3 fans including the one over the CPU and they all sound fine. Any help would be appreciated or tips.

Btw the cpu is a Core i3 6100

Solution
Use a piece of small mirror and make sure that you have done it properly usually these skylake CPUs are not meant to run for such temperatures. Try to replace your CPU fan and put some new thermal paste.
i3 6100 should stick around 50-60 event you gaming at higher resolutions.

Dreamable

Honorable
Oct 3, 2016
Any suggestions I'm not a computer expert I managed to put the fan back on it had. 4 little snap in bits into the motherboard and I popped them all back in and it worked, so the fan isn't the heatsink? (The fan that goes over the CPU is a small Intel fan) also I do remember something. When I clicked the fan into place one popped out again but I didn't think much of it because it's just a fan. Does the bottom of the fan have to touch the top of cpu?

Use a piece of small mirror and make sure that you have done it properly usually these skylake CPUs are not meant to run for such temperatures. Try to replace your CPU fan and put some new thermal paste.
i3 6100 should stick around 50-60 event you gaming at higher resolutions.

Solution

Dreamable

Honorable
Oct 3, 2016
Ok, i fixed i most of it. one of the pins on the cpu fan was bent so it didnt clip on all the way, so now all 4 pins are clamped in and its nice and sturdy, while idol its now around 20 - 39 and in game it stays under 79 for both cores. should i buy some thermal paste and redo it? the stuff on there now is like a dusty metalic stuff. i just want a good temp. and not have to worry about overheating.

kanewolf

Titan

Yes. You should clean the bottom of the heatsink and the top of the CPU with 90% isopropyl alcohol. Use a coffee filter as a cleaning towel. A "pea sized" drop of thermal compound in the middle of the CPU will spread to the entire CPU as the cooler is pressed down.

Dreamable

Honorable
Oct 3, 2016
Ok, I applied thermal paste and the average temp while playing is 49 -60 C. idol is 20C what and when should I be worried about temp? At what limit should br highest for gaming? Is it 80 for this CPU as well? I know 100 is not good I know.

Also now its went up to 62 C. im going to assume the longer i play the higher and higher it goes? i've been on fortnite for about 50 mins total now the lowest temp started at 50 C while playing. also, when will i feel the difference in performance. would it be while playing or after the cpu has went past its limit?

If it goes to much beyond normal then you will see some extreme lagging in your PC that because CPU itself will turn down some performance to stay in a safe temperature frame. So as you’ve mentioned 62-78C is quite safe and no need of worrying.

There’s no such thing that the temperature should raise according to the time you playing but indeed it will raise if you have a problem with your cooling other than that you can keep it in nearly constant temperature during playing.