Question Cpu Hot

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 20, 2020
This is my temperature of the CPU when playing a game. Is this bad?
unknown.png

Feb 20, 2020
What kind of thermal paste are you using?

If your temps are instantly jumping that high then it's very likely that the CPU cooler is not seated properly. What temps do you see if you go from all off and cold to the BIOS? Another question is, how much thermal paste are you using? Too little is going to cause problems. Too much is less likely to cause problems.
Hello I used the small sachet of thermal paste which came with the cooler and we put on more than a rice amount which is usual. The cpu cooler may not be on correctly but would this make it go to 100 degrees when in game

The cpu cooler may not be on correctly but would this make it go to 100 degrees when in game

If the CPU cooler is not mounted correctly it would absolutely go to 100C when in game. I've done this myself by mistake. Many CPUs throttle down substantially when idle using very little power and generating very little heat. An idle processor could almost survive without a heatsink. But the second you apply a load it throttles up and begins to use much more power. Potentially over 100 watts. Without a way to dissipate the heat generated from that power use, the silicon and heatspreader will quickly rise to 100C. Even with a heatsink, the CPU could rise to 80-90C under a heavy processing load. Modern processors have limiters that will cycle the processor back down if it detects that the temperature is too high. Older processors, back in the early 2000s and before didn't have that feature so a poorly mounted heatsink could lead to a dead processor in short order.

You might try finding a different thermal paste. Some of the white pastes that you get prepacked with the cooler are not much better than toothpaste. But remounting the cpu cooler may reveal the issue. You might find that one of the legs is not tight or sitting flat. Or that a stray wire was interfering with a flat mount. If you pull up the cooler and find that the paste hasn't been squeezed out to the edges use a bit more than you did last time. Half of a green pea, 2-3 grains of rice. The pressure of the mount should squeeze any excess out. It's important to use enough and not too little like I said before. Most modern pastes are non-conductive and if some squeezes out and lands on the board that's not the end of the world. Just check that your new paste is non-conductive.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

It doesn't necessarily have to be square, IE the edges of the cooler are parallel to the edges of the CPU, but the bottom side of the cooler, the cold plate, should be flat against the top of the CPU. No gaps or spaces.

When I built my first PC, the case came with little temp sensors connected to a little display on the front. I tried to install one in the paste between the CPU and the heatsink. On power on the CPU immediately threw out an overheat error. The sensor, even though smashed flat by the cooler (crushed actually) held the cooler high enough, maybe just a millimeter, that it couldn't work well enough. Once I gave up on the sensors, it worked fine.

Feb 20, 2020
So I have tried all of this replaced the cpu cooler again with new thermal paste and it had made it worse it is now 85 degrees when idle and when I load bios it says cpu temp too high error.

Feb 20, 2020
How tho I don’t see how it can’t be on I have taken it off and on 3 times and it has not worked it is on tight with the thermal paste I don’t see how it can’t be on with the screws

Jan 3, 2020
I don’t see where it says what type of cpu or cooler you have but my 9700k was getting that hot and only reason was the cooler was a stock style cooler. I disabled intel turbo boost and ran it like that which made it run 85 or so while gaming instead of 100. I put air liquid cooler in and then enabled turbo boost again now all is good I never go over 65. Again sorry if you already listed specs but I do not see them