[SOLVED] CPU hotter on games than Prime95

khrystiano

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Hi, I have a strange "problem"?

I have an i5-8600k/Vega 56 Pulse/16GB/SSD Kingston 240 and a Hummer ZX with 3 fans intake and 2 exhaust and when I run Prime95 (My CPU is running at stock but with some undervolt) max temp reached is 61º but when i play games like The Witcher 3, Assassin's Creed Odyssey or heavy games my CPU gets hotter, like 60-64º avegare.... GPU is just fine, 56-63º.

Can someone help me?

Greetings!

Solution
Yes ... to find out if your Vega 56 Pulse is causing this issue, you need to remove the case side covers and repeat your tests under the same conditions as before. 😎

khrystiano

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
New prime 95 uses AVX. Usually, CPUs have an AVX offset so they slow down a few MHz when using avx workloads.

Games dont use AVX, so the CPU will run faster.

I'm using the v.26 so I'm not testing the AVX, games like Witcher or AC:O use AVX? Could AVX instructions raise temps 5-6º more degrees? :s

I think when playing your games the GPU hot air is blowing out the case and that can raise the temperatures abit

Mmm, that could be possible, but, can the GPU raises the temp like that?

Greetings!

khrystiano

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Have you compared Core temperatures between Prime95 and games with case covers removers versus installed?

You mean with the side cover? (sorry, sometimes my english fails XD) if that, I haven't do that, but I can try.

So, if you tell me that is because you suggest that can be because of the GPU temps like XxDarkMario20xX suggested?

Greetings

khrystiano

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Yes ... to find out if your Vega 56 Pulse is causing this issue, you need to remove the case side covers and repeat your tests under the same conditions as before. 😎

Okay, I already tested it. Those are the results with the side cover removed:

Screen of the temps after 10 min of Prime95 v26: View: https://i.imgur.com/DoPgYQv.png

Screen ingame with monitorized temps on TW3: View: https://i.imgur.com/NaUQwUf.jpg

Screen of HWInfo after playing TW3: View: https://i.imgur.com/tuH5Xu3.png

Video of my config (so you can see the fans, etc):
View: https://vimeo.com/347821787

So, what do you think? it is because of the CPU? and if that's the case, what do you recommend me to do? I don't want to play games with the side cover removed, maybe another exhaust fan?

PS: Notice that one of the three intake fans has no "airflow" from outside since it's on the disk/cd space.

Greetings.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
You've proven that the issue is due to exhaust heat from the graphics card being recirculated in the case, just as XxDarkMario20xX suggested. As he also suggested, there's nothing wrong with your Core temperatures, either during gaming or when running Prime95.

Although "Throttle" temperature is 100°C, this is the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

You might feel better about it if you read this: Intel Temperature Guide - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-temperature-guide.1488337/

Enjoy your rig!

CT 😎

khrystiano

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
You've proven that the issue is due to exhaust heat from the graphics card being recirculated in the case, just as XxDarkMario20xX suggested. As he also suggested, there's nothing wrong with your Core temperatures, either during gaming or when running Prime95.

Although "Throttle" temperature is 100°C, this is the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

You might feel better about it if you read this: Intel Temperature Guide - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-temperature-guide.1488337/

Enjoy your rig!

CT 😎

Hi, thanks, I know it is safe temperatures but the thing is.. is there anyway to lower them without removing the side case? I was thinking about getting another exhaust fan so it'd be 3in/3exh instead if 3/2.

Greetings and thanks for the help.

khrystiano

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
You can certainly add a fan, but honestly, I wouldn't bother. You have 15°C of headroom, which is quite considerable and more than a comfortable margin. I would relax and enjoy your rig. 😎
Yeah but you know, CPU is undervolted at stock and even so it is reaching 60-64° at 4,1ghz, and I'm planning to oc to 4.6-4.7 so I think that if I do so the temps will raise alot, right? That's why I asked if an extra fan would help.

Thanks a lot!!

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Then that's another story. If that's the case, then by all means add another fan, but don't expect a day and night difference. You might drop another 2°C to 3°C or so at most, but that's about it. Either way, you should be OK. The 8600K won't get as hot as the 8700K because it doesn't have Hyperthreading. Your Sycthe Mugen 5 rev B is a decent cooler, but if you really want to get the highest overclock out of your rig, then if your Hummer ZX has enough space available, I would go with a 280mm AIO.

Also, you can always delid. If you're not comfortable trying it yourself, then send it to Silicon Lottery, where they'll not only delid it, but they'll bin it for you as well, so you'll know what your particular 8600K sample is capable of before you attempt to overclock. They do this every day, and do a great job with a warranty and quick turn around. They also include the frequency and Vcore settings you need to plug into BIOS to duplicate their binning results.

khrystiano

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Then that's another story. If that's the case, then by all means add another fan, but don't expect a day and night difference. You might drop another 2°C to 3°C or so at most, but that's about it. Either way, you should be OK. The 8600K won't get as hot as the 8700K because it doesn't have Hyperthreading. Your Sycthe Mugen 5 rev B is a decent cooler, but if you really want to get the highest overclock out of your rig, then if your Hummer ZX enough space available, I would go with a 280mm AIO.

Also, you can always delid. If you're not comfortable trying it yourself, then send it to Silicon Lottery, where they'll not only delid it, but they'll bin it for you as well, so you'll know what your particular 8600K sample is capable of before you attempt to overclock. They do this every day, and do a great job with a warranty and quick turn around. They also include the frequency and Vcore settings you need to plug into BIOS to duplicate their binning results.

Oh, thank you mate but I'm not planning to spend more money, I already spent too much money on this rig and I can't just afford an AIO. Now that I know what's the problem I will try with another more exhaust fan! thanks

Globespy

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2017
New prime 95 uses AVX. Usually, CPUs have an AVX offset so they slow down a few MHz when using avx workloads.

Games dont use AVX, so the CPU will run faster.

Pretty sure there are a few games that use AVX, and that's likely to increase.
Witcher 3, Ubisoft titles, Windows Mixed Reality REQUIRES AVX.

A simple test - if you have your OC with an AVX offset of say 2, open Witcher 3 and watch your clock speed drop by 200mhz.
But AVX is a 'thing' in gaming and seems like it will continue that way.

That's why I think AVX offsets are fake overclocks because the system really isn't stable.
Many use 2 as an offset, which means that you will lose 200mhz when AVX instructions are encountered.
Better to just have a non-AVX offset overclock at 100mhz less then you get better overall performance, and stable.

I still use RealBench 2.56 as the gold standard for OC stability as stresses everything in your PC that a very intensive game might do.
I can get through Prime 95, Aida64 Extreme, Intel XTU, Cinebench etc. with a 5.4Ghz OC (delidded 8086K on water), yet no matter how much extra voltage I add (tried all the way to 1.48v), I cannot get through more than a couple of minutes on Realbench without a BSOD. Temps are not a problem, never going above 70-75C, it's simply that the chip has hit it's limit and no more vCore, VCCIO, VCCSA, LLC or any other in-depth tweaking will make it stable at 5.4ghz all cores.
So I stay at 5.3ghz all cores @1.392v with no AVX offset.