Question Cpu i7 - 10875h temperature

Jul 1, 2020
Hi, i recently bought Asus rog 17 g732lv with i7-10875h and rtx 2060. Under normal work and idle cpu temperature is 44-64 Celzius. but when i do stress test with cpu z, the cpu temp raises almost instantly to 95-96 on the hottest core, stays there for a couple minutes, and cpu starts with going to 4.7 GHz, then holds around 4GHz, and then after couple minutes of stress test, cpu drops to 3.6 GHz and temp to 80, and continues stressing at this temperature ocasionally raising to 84 celzius
alco cpu-z bench gives me score of 500 and 5000, while i saw same cpu giving 550 and 5500 score on msi laptop. it never reaches the max 5.1GHz as its specified
if i run under silent mode, then temperature is about 10-15 celzius lower and never exceeds 70, but runs at lower frequency under 4.0 GHz at most
gpu is 45-55 celzius, why the ssd 33-35
is this normal for a laptop cpu?

With laptops the cooling solution significantly impacts performance so while 2 laptops may have the same spec 1 laptop may perform better because it has better cooling.

You can look into undervolting the cpu to reduce temperatures however this is getting harder to do as it’s being locked out of newer BIOS’s.

Jul 1, 2020
With laptops the cooling solution significantly impacts performance so while 2 laptops may have the same spec 1 laptop may perform better because it has better cooling.

You can look into undervolting the cpu to reduce temperatures however this is getting harder to do as it’s being locked out of newer BIOS’s.
Thx, yes i thought about it, but i read that undervolting software can interfere with asus armoury crate software and is not recomended having both. what im confused is if the instant raise to 96 C is normal, or something is wrong there, since after 2min load it lowers frequency and temperature by 10-20%

Thx, yes i thought about it, but i read that undervolting software can interfere with asus armoury crate software and is not recomended having both. what im confused is if the instant raise to 96 C is normal, or something is wrong there, since after 2min load it lowers frequency and temperature by 10-20%
I can’t remember the details but these CPU’s do have a short boost where a higher power consumption is allowed and then that reduces.

Laptop coolers are inefficient because they need to be small and light.
I think your behavior is nominal.
What is happening is that the processor runs as fast as it can until it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is around 100c.
It will then reduce the multiplier until temperatures lower and the yo-yo process is repeated.
The heat generation of a strong processor and a strong discrete graphics chip is hard for a laptop cooler to cope with.
The best you can do is to keep the cooling airways clear.
Possibly a laptop cooling pad might help.

You could experiment with windows power management.
Reduce the maximum processor power from 100% to 99% or less and see how that impacts you.

Jul 1, 2020
You could experiment with windows power management.
Reduce the maximum processor power from 100% to 99% or less and see how that impacts you.
I couldnt find this option in power management, the cpu setings are missing. on my old laptop i was able to reduce cpu temp by 8-10 C by doing this at 99%, but it was disabling the turboboost completely. it seems that those 90+C spikes happen randomly in normal usage too, on individual cores probably when one core is under higher load at 4.7GHz

Jul 7, 2020
You can undervolt it in the bios to maximum -80mv. Also, don't use the turbo mode, ever, maybe in a few years when you will need more CPU power. Witcher 3 in balanced mode the CPU temps are between 70 and 80 degrees, rarely goes to 85 and just for a second. In turbo mode, the temp never drop under 87 degrees, and it stays around 90 and goes to 95. In turbo mode, I see a 7-10 FPS increase, but it might be also because in turbo mode, the GPU is overclocked. I wanted to return it because I was testing it in games in turbo mode and was seeing only 90+ degrees and was so loud. In balance mode the fan is more than decent and the temps are 15-20 degrees less, and maybe I will overclock only the GPU

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020
You can undervolt it in the bios to maximum -80mv. Also, don't use the turbo mode, ever, maybe in a few years when you will need more CPU power. Witcher 3 in balanced mode the CPU temps are between 70 and 80 degrees, rarely goes to 85 and just for a second. In turbo mode, the temp never drop under 87 degrees, and it stays around 90 and goes to 95. In turbo mode, I see a 7-10 FPS increase, but it might be also because in turbo mode, the GPU is overclocked. I wanted to return it because I was testing it in games in turbo mode and was seeing only 90+ degrees and was so loud. In balance mode the fan is more than decent and the temps are 15-20 degrees less, and maybe I will overclock only the GPU
i dont have the option to undervolt in bios. i did undervolt with throttlestop by 80-90-100 on both core and cache, but i saw no difference in temp or performance. not sure if i should try going more than -100. i get the same with or without undervold, 95-96 on the last 2 cores (some cores as los as 86) under stress test, that after a minute drops to 80-84.
And yes, it only reaches those temperatures when it goes over 4GHz. once it drops under 3.6-3.8 GHz, so still using some turbo just not full power, the temperature is stable at 80-84
PS. on throttlestop i only clicked Apply, and then tested while thrittlestop was open, not sure if that matters

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020
btw, couple days ago, my laptop went to sleep mode, then it didnt want to wake up. i powered off completely, then when i started it again, cpu was stuck at 800Mhz. i googled for a fix, and turned out it can be fixed by unpluging from the power adapted and plugging it back again. it fix the problem, but what could have caused it?

Jul 7, 2020
Did you check if the values are really applied? I'm asking because I'm a noob in undervolting, and Initially I was also using ThrottleStop to "undervolt", but then I realized they don't change. In the FIVR window, does it say "FIVR Control - locked"? The thing is I was able to change the values, but they don't "really" do anything. Verify in the right corner, the Offset value should be different then 0 if you undervolt. And the second thing, don't forget to press the button TURN ON in throttlestop :) After I learned that I also must press the TURN ON button, still saw no changes and then I learned that undervolting is locked by most OEM's on the 10th generation laptops.

What BIOS version do you have? I'm asking because I didn't verify with the initial version if I can undervolt with throtlestop, and now I'm thinking to return the laptop and get another one with the old BIOS version if I can undervolt it with throtlestop. Now I can only undervolt with the BIOS to -80mv

Jul 1, 2020
Did you check if the values are really applied? I'm asking because I'm a noob in undervolting, and Initially I was also using ThrottleStop to "undervolt", but then I realized they don't change. In the FIVR window, does it say "FIVR Control - locked"? The thing is I was able to change the values, but they don't "really" do anything. Verify in the right corner, the Offset value should be different then 0 if you undervolt. And the second thing, don't forget to press the button TURN ON in throttlestop :) After I learned that I also must press the TURN ON button, still saw no changes and then I learned that undervolting is locked by most OEM's on the 10th generation laptops.

What BIOS version do you have? I'm asking because I didn't verify with the initial version if I can undervolt with throtlestop, and now I'm thinking to return the laptop and get another one with the old BIOS version if I can undervolt it with throtlestop. Now I can only undervolt with the BIOS to -80mv
Bios version 306 5/3/2020 i think i got bios update through windows update and should have the newest version
FIVR says locked yes, and you are right, regarldess if i press ON or OFF, the offsets in the right corner still show +0.00

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020
To undervolt using the BIOS, go to Advanced, and then, go to the last item in the list, something with "voltage". BTW, for your laptop the last version is 309
ok i found it, it says i can undervolt to -80, it was disabled, maybe if i enable it, then throttlestop will work too. but, in the article you posted here, it says that it might result in no boot after undervolting in some cases. how will i reset it in that case if i cant access windows and bios?

Jul 7, 2020
ok i found it, it says i can undervolt to -80, it was disabled, maybe if i enable it, then throttlestop will work too. but, in the article you posted here, it says that it might result in no boot after undervolting in some cases. how will i reset it in that case if i cant access windows and bios?

Throttlestop won't work after you enable it. Was hoping the same thing.
I started with -50mv, and then I went to -80mv. That was before I read the article :) I'm hoping they will increase the range you can undervolt with some BIOS updates.

Jul 1, 2020
Throttlestop won't work after you enable it. Was hoping the same thing.
I started with -50mv, and then I went to -80mv. That was before I read the article :) I'm hoping they will increase the range you can undervolt with some BIOS updates.
ok, i was hoping to try with throtlestop after enabling it, so the changes arent applies to the bios. because if i lose access to the bios, the only thing i found is opening the laptop and removing the MB battery, which will probably void the warranty... even tho the article says that could happen if you undervolt more than -70-80, probably which is why the limit is 80.
you said you have the same 10875 cpu, so can you tell me what were yourmax temperatures:
  1. default, no undervolt
  2. with -50
  3. with -80 undevolt
then i will think about if its worth trying or no. because my main goal is to get stable system with max tem of 85 on balanced and performance mode, because 95 seems too high, even it last only short time before it drops to 80 by lowering the frequency. Silen mode is cool enough, but seems a bit laggy because the cpu runs at 1.3-3.9GHz only, mostly around 2GHz, and armoury crate shows lower voltage, so i think its undervolting the cpu in some way, because it runs at like 600-1000mv, compared to the 1100-1400mv in balanced and performance