CPU Idle 100°C

Jun 26, 2018
Hello, for the past week my PC has been switching off within 10 minutes of being turned on, this happened when I logged into Windows or even if I stayed in the BIOS. I found the issue to be the processor, having a minimum of 75°C when I turn the power on to an average of 100°C when I've logged in.
I haven't overclocked any part of my computer, I am using stock AMD heatsink and fan.
My CPU is an AMD Athlon X4 860K @ 3.7GHz quad core and my GPU is a Radeon HD 6950.
I have cleaned and replaced my thermal paste and properly seated the heatsink. I got another stock AMD fan from another computer (this computer isn't over heating) and I installed another case fan to increase air flow. My temperature still sits at around 100°C with no drops at all.

Lutfij

Titan
Last I checked, if you're on an ASRock motherboard, there is no form of voltage regulation for your processor in the FM2/FM2+ socket chipset which is why the temps can and will climb to horrible levels.

Regardless, can you please list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PS:
Chassis:

If not then we'll be asking a lot of questions and assuming things from right, left and center. Oh right, are you on the latest BIOS revision for your motherboard?

Jun 26, 2018
CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Quad Core 3.7GHz
Motherboard: Asus A68HM Plus
Ram: 1 x 4GB & 1 x 2GB DDR3 Ram
SSD/HDD:500 GB HDD & 350 GB HDD
GPU: Radeon HD 6950
PS: Corsair CX 430
Chassis: I'll attach an image

Jun 26, 2018
The fan is spinning at 2900RPM according to the BIOS. I can confirm that the fan is indeed spinning very fast, I cannot see the blade when its spinning.
There is no sticker at the bottom of the heatsink, if there was it probably would have come off when I was (very thoroughly) cleaning the bottom of the heatsink.
This motherboard only has two fan connectors directly next to one another, CPU_FAN and CHA_FAN, the CPU's fan is plugged into CPU_FAN and the case fan is plugged into the CHA_FAN.

Jun 26, 2018
Mdd1963 I don't entirely understand what it is you're saying, if I need more air going through my fan and motherboard do I want more fan? Faster fans? Air coming and going through different directions? At the moment I have the heatsink fan pulling air from the CPU and a case fan next to the heatsink pushing the air to the front of the case. Friday I should be able to power another fan at the front of the case to pull the air out from the case.

I do not think the issue lies with the heatsink, I've had this computer for just over 8 months but have not ran into over heating issues before.

Then I'd double check that the heatsink's latching mechanism has not allowed it to become unlocked/tilted/barely touching CPU anymore....

Or, double check that you have not applied some insane +1.8V too high core voltage, etc....

Or, perhaps your paste/thermal material has solidified/dried out and is no longer working...

In any event, there is not much to go wrong with conventional heatsinks....

99% chance, it's one of the above...! :)

Jun 26, 2018
I've put in another heatsink (stock), I believe the heatsink is in full contact with the processor as it hasn't moved at all since I latched it to the motherboard while pressing it down.

How would I find out if my voltage is too high? I am using the motherboard default settings and I have just now reset the CMOS after pulling the battery out for a few minutes.

Jun 26, 2018
I just powered on my computer and it wasn't being displayed on the monitor, had a look and turns out an adapter I'm using to power my GPU (4 pin miles to 6 pin pcie) is burnt on the adapter where the wire connects to the pins.

Is my PSU faulty and outputting too much power?

many molex to PCI-e X6 adapters are not up to the task, and melt under 150 watts of heat or so...

Better solution is to have a PSU with the proper pair of GPU power supply connectors....

Of course, if there is no display, we are hoping the GPU will be functioning after swapping the PSU with a quality unit with proper connections....

Good luck, Sir!

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
case fan next to the heatsink pushing the air to the front of the case so this means your case fans push air in from the back is sould take air out and had that front fan to push air in the way is set up ot it is only recirculating hot air in the case no air flow .