Feb 22, 2023
Hi, just built for the first time a new PC. The systems is:
B550m Aorus Elite
R7 5700G
RTX 3070
32GB RAM
Montech x3 case
Deepcool AK400 cooler
750w PSU from Superframe(known tested brand in Brazil)

The problem i'm having is that my CPU won't downclock automatically when idle. It stays at 4,5mhz. I checked Ryzen Master and the temperature stays in the 70c idle, with EDC(CPU) always on 100%. While under heavy load, the temperature reaches 78c to 85c.
The only solution i found to decrease the temps was to disable the Core Perfomance Boost in the BIOS, but it limits the clock speed to the factory one of 3,8mhz. So it take a hit on perfomance.
The temps with this option disabled becomes 45-50c while idle and 70-75c under heavy load.

Please i need help, i'm so lost. Already made sure that my tower cooler is set up properly, so the cooler it's not the problem. Also, my windows power plan is set to balanced with minimum power set to 0%.

Hi, just built for the first time a new PC. The systems is:
B550m Aorus Elite
R7 5700G
RTX 3070
32GB RAM
Montech x3 case
Deepcool AK400 cooler
750w PSU from Superframe(known tested brand in Brazil)

The problem i'm having is that my CPU won't downclock automatically when idle. It stays at 4,5mhz. I checked Ryzen Master and the temperature stays in the 70c idle, with EDC(CPU) always on 100%. While under heavy load, the temperature reaches 78c to 85c.
The only solution i found to decrease the temps was to disable the Core Perfomance Boost in the BIOS, but it limits the clock speed to the factory one of 3,8mhz. So it take a hit on perfomance.
The temps with this option disabled becomes 45-50c while idle and 70-75c under heavy load.

Please i need help, i'm so lost. Already made sure that my tower cooler is set up properly, so the cooler it's not the problem. Also, my windows power plan is set to balanced with minimum power set to 0%.
Try using Core Optimizer to dynamically adjust/lower voltages. .20. or -30 if possible. There are settings in BIOS but can also try thru RM.

Reactions: k1DBLITZ

fdpdocarai

Prominent
Feb 22, 2023
Try using Core Optimizer to dynamically adjust/lower voltages. .20. or -30 if possible. There are settings in BIOS but can also try thru RM.
Do i let RM optmize it for me? Saw that the Control Mode is set to default and Curve Optmizer Mode is set to Off.
Can i set Control Mode to auto and Curve Optmizer Mode to All cores?

fdpdocarai

Prominent
Feb 22, 2023
Your current cpu temps are fine and it appears you do not suffer from thermal throttling. That's good.

Modern cpu's will bounce up and down in clock frequency. How man y apps are you opening at start up?
But isn't 70c on idle too high? o_O I would expect itto be around the 45-50c like when i disable Core Perfomance Boost.

These are the programs that open on startup showing on task manager:
Adobe CC
Adobe Collaboration Synchronizer 22.3
Adobe Updater Startup Utility
CCXProcess
Microsoft OneDrive
Realtek HD Audio Universal Service
Razer Synapse 3
Steam
TranslucentTB
Wallpaper Engine

Do i let RM optmize it for me? Saw that the Control Mode is set to default and Curve Optmizer Mode is set to Off.
Can i set Control Mode to auto and Curve Optmizer Mode to All cores?
Yes, you can try thru RM, it also checks for stability but may take awhile to finish. I still prefer doing it in BIOS though. it's just as easy. -30 is maximum and -20 most common. Also check fornewest BIOS, it seems that with AGESA 1208 it allows for better CO.

But isn't 70c on idle too high? o_O I would expect itto be around the 45-50c like when i disable Core Perfomance Boost.

These are the programs that open on startup showing on task manager:
Adobe CC
Adobe Collaboration Synchronizer 22.3
Adobe Updater Startup Utility
CCXProcess
Microsoft OneDrive
Realtek HD Audio Universal Service
Razer Synapse 3
Steam
TranslucentTB
Wallpaper Engine
That's a lot of startups and resident programs, far from idle. What is usage in Task manager and what frequencies and what cores are most loaded when you look at RM in advanced mode ?
Ryzen 5000 series also show temps per core and you can see that in HWinfo program. RM shows temps only as "Effective temps" something like itwasonly a single core CPU.

fdpdocarai

Prominent
Feb 22, 2023
That's a lot of startups and resident programs, far from idle. What is usage in Task manager and what frequencies and what cores are most loaded when you look at RM in advanced mode ?
Ryzen 5000 series also show temps per core and you can see that in HWinfo program. RM shows temps only as "Effective temps" something like itwasonly a single core CPU.
I've set the value to -22 after the optimizer made the tests. The temps dropped to 63-65c.

fdpdocarai

Prominent
Feb 22, 2023
Usage of 13% in Task Manager. Core 2 and Core 4 are the most used, the frequencies switch between them constantly, the rest are in sleep mode when i don't have anything open besides the start up programs.
Even though i have them open on start up, they really shouldn't run my cpu cores on 4,6mhz, right? When i disabled the Core Perfomance Boost, my cpu was way cooler running at 3,8hmz.
Let me check HWinfo.

EDIT: The temps are like this on HWinfo.
CPU(Tctl/Tdie) : 65c
CPU Core: 63.4c
CPU SOC: 37.3c
APU GFX: 36.8c
Core Temperatures: 42.4c
Core 0: 39.5c
Core 1: 56.2c
Core 2: 38.1c
Core 3: 51.3c
Core 4: 38.6c
Core 5: 40.0c
Core 6: 37.4c
Core 7: 38.4c

I also tested booting Windows without the start up programs, and the temps remained the same.

Last edited:

fdpdocarai

Prominent
Feb 22, 2023
Those are like super normal temperatures and also, you kind of contradicted yourself...
Do all your cores run at max frequency, all the time, or not?
One or two of them spiking or constantly running at max is pretty normal as your PC is always doing something in the background.
2 cores are always running(with the rest in sleep mode), one around 1.5mhz and another on 4.6mhz, they switch back and forth. On the top part of Ryzen Master, it always show around 4mhz to 4.6mhz being used.
Shouldn't the frequency drop down when there's nothing running besides the startup programs? They aren't heavy and i also tested without them active, but the temps remained the same.

Usage of 13% in Task Manager. Core 2 and Core 4 are the most used, the frequencies switch between them constantly, the rest are in sleep mode when i don't have anything open besides the start up programs.
Even though i have them open on start up, they really shouldn't run my cpu cores on 4,6mhz, right? When i disabled the Core Perfomance Boost, my cpu was way cooler running at 3,8hmz.
Let me check HWinfo.

I also tested booting Windows without the start up programs, and the temps remained the same.
Let me check HWinfo.

Well, I don't see 70c anywhere although yeah 10-15c higher than you'd expect at idle but idle is somewhere about 1% or less
CPU(Tctl/Tdie) is normally that 10-15c higher than average/effective core temp so that part jives. Also at best all those temps should be some 10c higher than environment temps in the case for air cooling. Important part is that high load temps don't go too high, idle is too variable to be an exact science.

fdpdocarai

Prominent
Feb 22, 2023
Well, I don't see 70c anywhere although yeah 10-15c higher than you'd expect at idle but idle is somewhere about 1% or less
CPU(Tctl/Tdie) is normally that 10-15c higher than average/effective core temp so that part jives. Also at best all those temps should be some 10c higher than environment temps in the case for air cooling. Important part is that high load temps don't go too high, idle is too variable to be an exact science.
So, i think i resolved the issue, i changed the maximum processor state from 100% to 99%, now the CPU won't use high frequency constantly anymore. The temperature dropped to from 70c to 44c-46c.
In-games or heavy 3d render, the cores still reaches 4.6mhz , i didn't notice any big impact on perfomance. The temps on demanding applications is still around 78c, but it's withing the expected range of my cooler and montech case(glass version).

So, i think i resolved the issue, i changed the maximum processor state from 100% to 99%, now the CPU won't use high frequency constantly anymore. The temperature dropped to from 70c to 44c-46c.
In-games or heavy 3d render, the cores still reaches 4.6mhz , i didn't notice any big impact on perfomance. The temps on demanding applications is still around 78c, but it's withing the expected range of my cooler and montech case(glass version).
That way you got it stuck at (up to) 3.8GHz which is base speed and lost a lot of performance. No boost no nothing above, Try with maximum at 100% and with Minimum at 5%

k1DBLITZ

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2013
Sounds to me like your vcore is too high. If you did not manually set it, the mobo will apply WAY too much voltage out of the box.

Check the specs for your proc, but generally most procs are designed to run at 1.2v

Voltage is the number one factor that contributes to heat - and it is dramatic. Even tiny adjustments (2nd and 3rd decimal) in voltage have a huge impact on heat output.

Reactions: CountMike