This is my rig, set it up yesterday
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor
Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card
Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case
SeaSonic FOCUS 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

At idle, according to NZXT and Core Temp, CPU temp is like 55-60 degrees (although speed fan says 30-35), sounds abit too high?
I've read turning off the core CPU boost will fix the problem, any thoughts on this?
I havnt tried it under load yet, waiting for a game or 2 to download then will do

Thanks
Sheraz

Solution
Good idea to put a top-rear exhaust. Fans work by creating a low pressure area behind the moving blade, faster the spin, higher the draw. But the strongest area of draw is closest to the fan. Airflow works by air moving from a high pressure area to a low pressure area, so with a single exhaust fan at rear, the strongest area is closest to that fan, and the nearest high pressure area is the giant hole in the top of the case.

Basically the rear exhaust doesn't do much to move case air, only cpu exhaust.

There's 2 fixes for that. Add a top-rear fan, which creates a far stronger low pressure area at the back side of the case, forces the rear exhaust to rely more on case air support from the intakes, or block off the giant hole forcing...

Strafez

Prominent
May 22, 2020
Hey there,
Are you using NZXT cam to monitor temps? I would use either Ryzen Master or HWinfo to do so, since NZXT cam seems to be a bit off.
Also, I assume you are using the stock cooler that comes with the Ryzen 7 3800X.

SH3ra2

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2012
Hey there,
Are you using NZXT cam to monitor temps? I would use either Ryzen Master or HWinfo to do so, since NZXT cam seems to be a bit off.
Also, I assume you are using the stock cooler that comes with the Ryzen 7 3800X.
yes its nzxt cam, and yes stock Wraith Prism cooler
downloaded the Ryzen Master, thanks man Ill try this one

Iniaskle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
Hi guys,
quick q
This is my rig, set it up yesterday
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor
Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card
Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case
SeaSonic FOCUS 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

At idle, according to NZXT and Core Temp, CPU temp is like 55-60 degrees (although speed fan says 30-35), sounds abit too high?
I've read turning off the core CPU boost will fix the problem, any thoughts on this?
I havnt tried it under load yet, waiting for a game or 2 to download then will do

Thanks
Sheraz
You should use ryzen master for cpu temps, they are the most accurate. What are your temps under load?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Good idea to put a top-rear exhaust. Fans work by creating a low pressure area behind the moving blade, faster the spin, higher the draw. But the strongest area of draw is closest to the fan. Airflow works by air moving from a high pressure area to a low pressure area, so with a single exhaust fan at rear, the strongest area is closest to that fan, and the nearest high pressure area is the giant hole in the top of the case.

Basically the rear exhaust doesn't do much to move case air, only cpu exhaust.

There's 2 fixes for that. Add a top-rear fan, which creates a far stronger low pressure area at the back side of the case, forces the rear exhaust to rely more on case air support from the intakes, or block off the giant hole forcing the rear exhaust to only have access to case air.

Either way, air flow improves rather dramatically, which almost always results in lower idle temps as the cpu is now fully supplied by intake air and heat exhaust is removed more effectively from both the cpu and gpu. Load temps can vary depending on usage and output, but will often go down too because of the greater amount of cooling potential in colder case air vrs warmer case air.

Solution
One good thing is that it is easy to experiment by moving fans around if they are all 120mm versions.
I might place the new fan in front as an additional intake.
All the cooling air that comes in the front will exit somewhere like the top or rear, taking component heat with it.