[SOLVED] CPU idle temp is 55 degrees celcius ?

Dec 18, 2020
Hey,
Yesterday I built my new desktop. Everything went well, but when i looked at the BIOS I saw that the Cpu temp already exceded 50 celcius. I think this is to hot for hsf Idle. I remember when i mounted the HSF (be quiet pure rock 2) on my 3600xt. I didn't know how hard i should tighten the screws. After the installation I wiggled the cooler and i felt that i could move it a little. Also the pre-applied thermal paste leaked out the side a bit. Does anyone know if I should tighten the HSF more or not, I'm afraid to break the MOBO or something?

specs:

Ryzen 5 3600XT
Be quiet pure rock 2
Sharkoon tg6 (has good airflow)
Asus rog strix b450 f gaming

Solution
I guess I will be the voice of reason here.

First thing you should do is take off the cooler from the CPU. Then get some rubbing alcohol and clean off the CPU & Cooler from the paste. The reapply new paste to CPU, a Pea sized dot is all you really need and you don't need to spread out the paste. Then screw back on the Cooler making sure to tighten the screws in a cross pattern ( Follow Pic Diagram). Screw the Cooler in with each screw until the screw won't turn anymore with gentle pressure. When that is done wiggle the cooler and see if it moves, if it does then the screws can be tightened a little more. Just remember that the screws are going into a nut and not the Mobo, it can take a little pressure, just think how hard you...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't know if that is hot or not but my 3600Xt hovers around 45 to 51c average at desktop.
I am using an AIO though.

since the temp is just an average of 50+ temp sensors on the die it is hard to say what actual temp is at any time,

Temps also depend on ambient temperatures there as well, none of them can go below ambient (water or air anyway)

PCMDDOCTORS

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2015
I guess I will be the voice of reason here.

First thing you should do is take off the cooler from the CPU. Then get some rubbing alcohol and clean off the CPU & Cooler from the paste. The reapply new paste to CPU, a Pea sized dot is all you really need and you don't need to spread out the paste. Then screw back on the Cooler making sure to tighten the screws in a cross pattern ( Follow Pic Diagram). Screw the Cooler in with each screw until the screw won't turn anymore with gentle pressure. When that is done wiggle the cooler and see if it moves, if it does then the screws can be tightened a little more. Just remember that the screws are going into a nut and not the Mobo, it can take a little pressure, just think how hard you have to press down to click in RAM sticks, lol.

If all goes well then I'm happy as I'm sure you will be. One last tip.... When using Thermal Paste, use a decent brand like Arctic Silver, Noctua, NZXT, Cooler Master, etc.

Reactions: Mrmjb_fpv
Solution