CPU Idle Temperature

TheXavier

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
Hello Guys,

I had a question on here not too long ago and you were all very helpful (My GTX 760 is going to be delivered tomorrow), but I have yet another question. I have the Intel Core i7 860 and I feel like the idle temperature is pretty high. It's right around 60C, but it only hits upper 60s in games. I've read several different things on this. Some say the heatsink could not be making full contact, which I have checked that and I have also reapplied thermal grease. Some just say the heatsink sucks and others say that this CPU just idles that high. If a new heatsink is needed, any recommendations would be appreciated. On a side not, my GPU idles pretty damn high as well, not sure if you guys would have any idea about that either.

http://postimg.org/image/ifah2fd6z/

Solution
Blow out your case - especially fans, filters and coolers.

Your cpu idle temp should be 40C max and gaming 55C max

If that hasn't done it, you need to re-seat your cooler - put new thermal paste on.

If that hasn't done the trick, then get a better cpu cooler.
Post your build!!!!

Your Vcore on your CPU is too high - 1.216V. Making your cpu run at 63C. You should be getting 35C max idle and 55C max gaming.
Have you overclocked it? Get rid of overclocks. Reset bios to do that.

Your GPU Voltage is also too high 1.012V. Resulting in your GPU running at 64C on idle. It should be 40C. and 60C gaming.
Drop it by 20mV.

Blow out your case to clean it - especially fans, filters and coolers.

TheXavier

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
Oh I posted a link in my first post showing what I had. I have never messed around with overclocking anything and I always keep my case dusted out pretty well too. I was reading something about the motherboard automatically adjusting the voltages on the CPU, is that something I have to worry about? I have never messed around with the voltages in the BIOS before.

TheXavier

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
Alright I appreciate you guys trying to help me. I loaded the optimized defaults and the voltages are the same. I see where I can lower it for the CPU, but I can't seem to locate where I can do that for the GPU. Any suggestions on this?

TheXavier

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
Alright, so I have lowered the Vcore on the CPU to 1.15v and the GPU down to .987v. My CPU seems to be idling 1-3 degrees cooler while my video card is unaffected. I have confirmed with HWInfo that these have indeed been lowered. Are there any other possibilities?

Blow out your case - especially fans, filters and coolers.

Your cpu idle temp should be 40C max and gaming 55C max

If that hasn't done it, you need to re-seat your cooler - put new thermal paste on.

If that hasn't done the trick, then get a better cpu cooler.

Solution

hapkiman

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Yes that processor (which is getting pretty old) should be idling in the high 30's to low 40's (C) at most. And I hope you didn't use very much thermal paste. It only takes a dab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ody2xNGA0C4

And yes your voltages seem too high, which in turn will cause higher temps on everything. Have you checked to see if there is any newer BIOS versions for your motherboard? If so you should do it. If not reset the BIOS to Default ALL settings.

And make sure you have good air flow in your case, and its dust free.

TheXavier

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
Alright well I just upgraded my video card and for whatever reason that made a difference. My CPU now idles around 45C and my GPU is at 27C idle. Thanks for your help guys. The CPU is still a bit high, but not too bad.