Question CPU Idling At Around 70 Degrees

Aug 17, 2020
Hi.

I built my own pc about 6 months ago. I noticed a while ago (although I have a feeling this has been happening since day 1) that my room gets hotter than it should when I use my computer, especially so when I play games - and our electricity bill has been massive (may not be related). I didn't think too much of it as I checked my gpu temps and they were okay. I recently decided I should check my cpu temps and was blown away when I saw that myAMD RYZEN R5 3600 idles at around 70 degrees in Windows. In BIOS it idles at around 46 degrees. I think 46 degrees in BIOS is okay, though 70 degrees in Windows is very worrying.

• I have used three programs to check my temperatures (Core Temp, NZXT Cam, and HWiNFO).
  • I have done no overclocking or anything similar.
  • Room temperature is around 25 degrees (I live in Australia) and my pc is sitting on a wooden table with nothing close to it or smothering it.
  • I am using the stock cooler with the thermal paste that came already on the cooler (so it can't be a case of me not using any / using too much/too little, etc). And I did remove the plastic film prior to installing it.
  • I have ran scans with AVG and MalwareBytes antivirus software.
  • I have cleaned my pc with a duster can (even though it wasn't dusty to begin with).
View: https://imgur.com/c1qGcrb

View: https://imgur.com/bigSBj4

In task manager, when the temps are around 65 deg my cpu is at about 5% usage. This really bothers me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
what case do you have? I can only see 2 case fans?

is it that high in safe mode?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

seems at excessive change for just loading windows up.

it shouldn't always be 1 temp, its a ryzen. mine rises and falls constantly, it doesn't sit at one temp.
in hwinfo, in the sensors window, click settings
in the 1st area, under polling, change it to 500 and click set
it should change temps being recorded more accurately in hwinfo anyway
Wonder if thats package temp or tdie temp?

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2020
what case do you have? I can only see 2 case fans?

is it that high in safe mode?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

seems at excessive change for just loading windows up.

it shouldn't always be 1 temp, its a ryzen. mine rises and falls constantly, it doesn't sit at one temp.
in hwinfo, in the sensors window, click settings
in the 1st area, under polling, change it to 500 and click set
it should change temps on the sensor.
Wonder if thats package temp or tdie temp?

My case is a Phanteks Eclipse P400.

None of my three temperature monitor programs will run in safe mode. In safe mode with networking, HWiNFO says it cannot install driver in safe mode.

My temp does rise and fall. Between about 58-70 degrees idling in Windows.

I followed your instructions in HWINFO, and it's reading the usual (around 65 degrees).

Thank you.

Colif

Win 11 Master
That isn't a good case design for Australia (i am there too) and it doesn't look good for it on this video

You should get a case with mesh front panels and more intake fans. I don't know if adding more to your current one would help. heat just isn't escaping... ryzen CPU are warm but mine is at most 60c for a split second at idle, it only goes up if it has to wake a core. I have a 3600 as well.

I have mine set up in front of a window so any air that escapes goes outside. Lucky this year hasn't been as hot as last year here yet. No fires at least :)

electricity bills - only PSU choice can really do a lot to affect that.

if you take front panel off it is 10c cooler but might not look as good.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2020
That isn't a good case design for Australia (i am there too) and it doesn't look good for it on this video

You should get a case with mesh front panels and more intake fans. I don't know if adding more to your current one would help. heat just isn't escaping... ryzen CPU are warm but mine is at most 60c for a split second at idle, it only goes up if it has to wake a core. I have a 3600 as well.

I have mine set up in front of a window so any air that escapes goes outside. Lucky this year hasn't been as hot as last year here yet. No fires at least :)

electricity bills - only PSU choice can really do a lot to affect that.

Strangely, although that case in the vid is the same design as mine, mine does have a mesh front with 3 intake fans but no exhaust fan over the rear mesh.

I also have my case backed up to an open window.

Do you mind me asking what your cpu temps are like on idol?

Im thinking I may take it into a computer shop tomorrow and get it looked at.

Thank you.

Colif

Win 11 Master
guess that is is a 4 year old video, maybe they listened and changed it. Just as well as it was the worst case they tested for a few years. Yours is a P400A. A = Air

i don't know what temps are inside house today (only 24 outside) but the pc is bouncing from 44 to 52 at idle. I have an AIO though. running a relaxed fan curve Not using stock cooler

it shouldn't be that warm

Aug 17, 2020
guess that is is a 4 year old video, maybe they listened and changed it. Just as well as it was the worst case they tested for a few years.

i don't know what temps are inside house today (only 24 outside) but the pc is bouncing from 44 to 52 at idle. I have an AIO though. running a relaxed fan curve Not using stock cooler

it shouldn't be that warm
Okay. Thanks a lot :)

Strangely, although that case in the vid is the same design as mine, mine does have a mesh front with 3 intake fans but no exhaust fan over the rear mesh.

I also have my case backed up to an open window.

Do you mind me asking what your cpu temps are like on idol?

Im thinking I may take it into a computer shop tomorrow and get it looked at.

Thank you.
You have no exhaust fan? You need a couple to remove the hot air.

Reactions: Flayed
Aug 17, 2020
So you have the P400A, not the P400 then.
That, and the stock cooler for the 3600 is a little weaker than the one on the X model.
Also, because it's a top-down cooler, more exhausts should be more effective - fill the top and rear.
Okay. Thank you. Tomorrow il get right onto it. Do you think thats the only issue? As it seems that my temps are very high and at idle its really only my cpu warming the box, as my gfx card sits idle.

Do you think it could be a lack of airflow plus something else?

Thank you.

Aug 17, 2020
an exhaust fan at the very least in rear of case will help the heat figure out which way to go

I turned my pc on just to check, and all 3 fans on the front of my case are spinning as is my cpu fan. I also didn't pull out the fans on my case so I can't imagine any are installed backwards.

Does this seem like a good plan:

• Get an exhaust fan
  • Get a water cooler

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)High idle thermals is normal for Ryzen 3000 and 5000. It is a byproduct of their design - get used it.
What matters more is that your load thermals aren't through the roof.

2)It's a combination of things, but the highlight is the top-down cooler.
They operate best in chassis that have side intakes over them - but that's not present here, so moving on...
The fan draws air from 'above' it and down into the heatsink, and that heated air spreads out.
When you run the gpu, and it's dumping its heat in the chassis, that cooler does end up cooling itself on the gpu's exhaust before it gets out of the chassis.

That's why you should get a rear and TWO - not 1 - top exhausts in there.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Just get an exhaust fan first. see if you need more cooling then.

might need better intake fans too. I don't know how good phantek ones are.

is there a filter on front of the 3 intake fans? helps to have more intakes than exhaust unless case designed for negative pressure, otherwise dust gets sucked in all the gaps where filters aren't.

Colif

Win 11 Master
based on this it might not change a great deal with an extra exhaust fan -
as they tested the new one with an extra exhaust fan.
Its a good case, and fans sound like they should keep CPU temps down. and PC cool. It makes mine look bad lol.

CPU shouldn't be that hot still.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2020
I just checked again in BIOS and it started at around 65 before dropping to 55.

I checked Windows again and it was sitting at 78 (jumped above 80 for a bit) before dropping to around 67 where it stayed.

I just have a few last questions.
  1. I will get top fans. These should be pointed to exhaust air from my case, not take air in. Is that right?
  2. Phaaze said that what matters more than idle temps is that they aren't through the room during load. I read that my card will shut off at 95 degrees (my computer has died only once during gaming, though I don't know what caused that), but before hitting this 95 ceiling, what temp is too hot? I've read its about 85 degrees.. but I feel that I would hit that very quickly as I'm sometimes over 85 degrees just sitting in Windows.

I really appreciate everyone's help, It's been much more than I expected to get.

Thank you.

Aug 17, 2020

TRENDING THREADS