CPU Idling Hot

kmlucy

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
I have been having some issues recently with getting my CPU to idle at a reasonable temp. I have a i7 920 (not overclocked), and it has been idling at about 47C for a long time. I just switched to a Noctua DH14, but I didn't really see any improvement. Thinking it might be my application of thermal paste, I went back and did a extremely meticulous job of applying the paste (Arctic Silver 5). That got it down to 40C, but that still seems really hot for a stock CPU. I have plenty of airflow in my case and minimal dust. Can I get some suggestions for what might be going on? Thanks.

InvalidError

Titan
If you have dynamic fan profile enabled, it could simply be that your CPU fans are running slow because your CPU is too cold.

If you want to see if you really have a heat transfer issue, you should measure peak temperature while the CPU is maxed-out by running something like Prime95 for 10+ minutes or until CPU core temperature break 80C which would clearly indicate an issue of some sort.

batman4u

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
check for background programs running a certain percentage of you CPU that dont let it Step down its core speed, it happended to me with EVGA precison X or MSI afterburner utility that the computer stayed at 25% and made the cpu always be at its highest speed and made it hot at 50 Celsius so i had to uninstall it and problem solved

to see load cpu percentage go CTRL+ALT+Delete and click on Task Manager, then click the PERFORMANCE tab and see if the total cpu % usage is above 10% if it is, go to the processes tab and organize the programs by usage from high to low and see which program is making your cpu run high clock always

hope i explained myself and hope this works :D:pt1cable:

kmlucy

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
1) I thoroughly cleaned the old paste off the cpu and heatsink with isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth.
2) I followed Arctic Silver's instructions exactly for my processor, including the amount of paste, and the location of the paste.
3) The fans are not the problem. I can watch their RPMS, and all are near or at full speed the entire time. Also, if I stick my hand in the case, there is plenty of airflow.
4) There aren't any background programs eating my resources. It is idling at around 5%.
5) I ran Prime95 for a while, and while it maxed out my CPU, the temp never got above 70C, and mostly hung out around 65C.

It doesn't seem I have a cooling problem, it just appears to idle really hot...

Also, nobody has asked yet, but ambient temperature isn't the problem. It is nice and cool here.

Thanks for the answers.

jayadratha

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009

Check temperature of each cores. See if all the cores have nearly same temperature. +/-1 degree in idle. Saying this because you said 47degree for long time, I have a processor whose core2 heat sensor stuck at 50degree Celsius. it never goes below that. but other cores temperature goes below that. So it looks like, 3 cores have temperature 35degree celsius and one have 50degree celcius. So you may have a stuck heat sensor.

kmlucy

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

All are within a degree of each other. Thanks though.

kmlucy

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

I am reading them as the core temps. I have checked with Open Hardware Monitor and with Core Temp; they both agree. Thanks.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

If you still have the Intel stock cooler, and you feel like going through the trouble, swap it out temporarily with the new Noctua DH14. Be sure the push-pins open securely behind the MB.
If the idle temps are lower with the Intel stock cooler, then you know it is a mounting issue with the Noctua DH14.
If idle temps are the same, then you know the mounting is OK and there is another issue.

kmlucy

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

I don't have the stock cooler, but the cooler I just replaced was having the same problem. I really don't think it is a mounting or paste issue.