[SOLVED] CPU in 100% (And using GHZ above the maximum)

Mar 22, 2022
Hello,

Reccently I updated my memory RAM, now I have a dual-channel 8GB RAM 2666MHz DDR4

To have the maximum the performance I activated the XMP in my BIOS

But now I'm seeing that some games (God of War for example) make my processor go to 100% of usage

In the task manager shows that the mine cpu maximum GHz is 2.7 and sometimes it hits at 3,1

I really don't know what it could be, to happen this

The most part that I play is installed in a HDD that I have sometime, I use the SSD just for the OS, but I think that just the HDD would not impact it

What do you guys think?

My Specs:

GTX 970 ZOTAC 4GB
i5 6400
8GB RAM 2666MHz DDR4 (dual-channel)
Motherboard: H110M-CS/BR

Solution
Welcome to the forums!

That 2.7Ghz is the base frequency of your CPU and it can turbo boost to 3.3Ghz so it working at 3.1 Ghz while under load is normal and not a bad thing to worry about. You can look here.

Do you have the latest available graphics driver for the GPU from nvidia?
Also when you want to play (or all the time) you can set the PC power plan to High Performance and also GPU performance settings in nvidia control panel > manage 3D settings set Power management mode to : Prefer maximum performance. If you have some applications running in the background closing them before playing the game might help a little too.

That game apparently does have a history of high CPU usage and spikes under load. Maybe if avilable...

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums!

That 2.7Ghz is the base frequency of your CPU and it can turbo boost to 3.3Ghz so it working at 3.1 Ghz while under load is normal and not a bad thing to worry about. You can look here.

Also when you want to play (or all the time) you can set the PC power plan to High Performance and also GPU performance settings in nvidia control panel > manage 3D settings set Power management mode to : Prefer maximum performance. If you have some applications running in the background closing them before playing the game might help a little too.

That game apparently does have a history of high CPU usage and spikes under load. Maybe if avilable update the game to the latest version as they might have patched and fixed the CPU usage issue.

At what refresh rate are you playing the game? Setting a limit for FPS (capping frames per second maybe to 40-45 FPS if it's higher) can to some extent limit the CPU usage in games and that might help a bit.

Solution
Mar 22, 2022
Welcome to the forums!

That game apparently does have a history of high CPU usage and spikes under load. Maybe if avilable update the game to the latest version as they might have patched and fixed the CPU usage issue.

At what refresh rate are you playing the game? Setting a limit for FPS (capping frames per second maybe to 40-45 FPS if it's higher) can to some extent limit the CPU usage in games and that might help a bit.

Thanks to the answer! Glad to hear that the GHz above the base frequency is not a problem

Unfortunately, I already updated the GPU drivers and the power management is set to perfomance too

The game is updated, I thought initially that was some version problem and did this too

But, as I said, this game is installed in an old HDD, just the OS is installed in the SSD, is it could be the problem? I have a lot of bad perfomance while playing and some stutterings too

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Thanks to the answer! Glad to hear that the GHz above the base frequency is not a problem

Unfortunately, I already updated the GPU drivers and the power management is set to perfomance too

The game is updated, I thought initially that was some version problem and did this too

But, as I said, this game is installed in an old HDD, just the OS is installed in the SSD, is it could be the problem? I have a lot of bad perfomance while playing and some stutterings too
The game being installed on HDD doesn't really have a big impact , if any, on the CPU usage as that game is apparently known to be a CPU hog but stuttering and micro freezes and so on can be because of the HDD. So installing game on the SSD would result in better storage-related game performance and would probably resolve or reduce bad performance and stuttering if they're because of the general storage performance.

If the issues are because CPU gets to 100% load and is basically busy and can't handle more game-related load (preparing frames for GPU) the storage performance wouldn't really affect it that much.

Anyway it won't hurt to have the game on SSD and load from it and see what kind of a difference it makes.

Mar 22, 2022

Yep, this game really have a general problem, but in my case, for some reason, it's worst. Even in the start menu, i'm having a lot of stuttering

The game being installed on HDD doesn't really have a big impact , if any, on the CPU usage as that game is apparently known to be a CPU hog but stuttering and micro freezes and so on can be because of the HDD. So installing game on the SSD would result in better storage-related game performance and would probably resolve or reduce bad performance and stuttering if they're because of the general storage performance.

If the issues are because CPU gets to 100% load and is basically busy and can't handle more game-related load (preparing frames for GPU) the storage performance wouldn't really affect it that much.

Anyway it won't hurt to have the game on SSD and load from it and see what kind of a difference it makes.

I'll realy try to put it in a new storage device, it's really old

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Exactly I've seen a lot of people compling about th game hogging CPU.

Yep, this game really have a general problem, but in my case, for some reason, it's worst. Even in the start menu, i'm having a lot of stuttering

I'll realy try to put it in a new storage device, it's really old
Yes game is known and kind of notorious for this. As I said before, installing it on a SSD won't really affect how the game engages CPU and it is handled but would help with launch and load times and might help with stutters in menus and in-game if those are indeed because of slower storage.