CPU in bubble wrap.

Imperialist_Cat

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017
Hello, I am currently building a PC for the first time and I recently received my Intel i3 2100, clocked at 3.1 Ghz. When I opened the box, there was only one layer of static -prof material that covered the CPU, outside of the covering, there were bubble wraps, the corner of the CPU, was sticking out of the anti-static covering. I am extremely worries about the i3 as the bubble wraps were not static prof and it might have been damaged. I currently don't have the motherboard so there is no way I can check if it works, In short I'm wondering if I should return the CPU and ask for a refund or should I keep it as the transport time was short and only a bit was sticking out of the anti-static. I hope my question can be answer quickly so I can sleep soundly at night knowing my CPU is okay. Thank you! :)

Solution

It is probably fine.
But this is why you buy parts all at the same time, so you can test them within the return window.
Especially used parts.
I've kept ram in my pocket all day and used it. Worked perfectly. Computer parts are more resilient than people make it out to be. I've made mistakes but never killed anything with static. Plus if it was in a static bag, the corner popping out isn't going to make a difference. Anti-static also doesn't mean no-static. You're never 100% safe, but it's just a precaution. Stop worrying!

D

Deleted member 217926

Where did you buy a CPU that comes in bubble wrap and not the retail box? Is it used? If so can you return it? Can you return it with "it maybe touched bubble wrap" as a legitimate reason for a return?

USAFRet

Titan

This sounds like a used CPU? ebay, maybe?

USAFRet

Titan

That is often the way used parts arrive.

I am extremely worries about the i3
I am extremely paranoid.

In future, maybe you should reconsider buying used parts.

It is highly unlikely the seller would give you a refund for what you have told us.
I wouldn't.

Imperialist_Cat

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017

The CPU itself has a 14 day return policy and my motherboard isn't due to arrive until June, there is no way I can test if it work at the moment. Do you think the CPU is fine?

Imperialist_Cat

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017

It was more like 2/6 of the CPU sticking out of the anti-static. Also, the CPU with the wrapping is in a cardboard box and if I remember correctly cardboard doesn't conduct electricity. What I'm worried about is during the shipping, the wrapping might have damaged the CPU transistors.

USAFRet

Titan

It is probably fine.
But this is why you buy parts all at the same time, so you can test them within the return window.
Especially used parts.

Solution

i agree, a lot of people overlook that.