Question CPU in new build running at 100 degrees C on idle

964pinocchio

Honorable
Aug 31, 2014
Hello,

I built my first computer today, and after getting it up and running I ran Speccy and it showed my CPU idling at around 100 degrees.

Build:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF
ASRock B450M Pro 4
ASUS GTX 1650 OC Phoenix
Team T-Force TUF Allian 16GB (2x8GB)
Sandisk 240GB SSD
Samsung 500GB HDD
EVGA BR450 PSU
Cooler Master Q300L case

I have no clue why the CPU would run so dangerously high at start-up and on idle. This is a low-budget build based off Tech By Matt's Youtube video for build a $500 gaming PC 2020 version, so I don't see it being a compatibility issue. The GPU is the only difference, in fact, although I was surprised to see on assembly that it doesn't require it's own power.

I don't even want to turn on the PC for fear of frying part or all the the components.

What did I do wrong? Please help.

Last edited:
Hello,

I built my first computer today, and after getting it up and running I ran Speccy and it showed my CPU idling at around 100 degrees.

Build:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF
ASRock B450M Pro 4
ASUS GTX 1650 OC Phoenix
Sandisk 240GB SSD
Samsung 500GB HDD
Cooler Master Q300L case

I have no clue why the CPU would run so dangerously high at start-up and on idle. This is a low-budget build based off Tech By Matt's Youtube video for build a $500 gaming PC 2020 version, so I don't see it being a compatibility issue. The GPU is the only difference, in fact, although I was surprised to see on assembly that it doesn't require it's own power.

I don't even want to turn on the PC for fear of frying part or all the the components.

Hello,

Build:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF
ASRock B450M Pro 4
ASUS GTX 1650 OC Phoenix
Sandisk 240GB SSD
Samsung 500GB HDD
Cooler Master Q300L case

Ditch Speecy and use Ryzen Master and HWinfo64. If it was really 100c it would shut off.