[SOLVED] CPU inactive

laurencewithau

Honorable
Mar 13, 2016
CPU shows zero usage in task manager processes. And very little in Performance. Also, my CPU fan makes a racket at start-up. And my pc froze today. Are these connected? Would be grateful for any help.

Solution
CPU shows zero usage in task manager processes. And very little in Performance. Also, my CPU fan makes a racket at start-up. And my pc froze today. Are these connected? Would be grateful for any help.

It is quite normal for a large number of ~100-120+ processes within Task Manager to reflect 0% usage at most times....

As for your PC freezing, that is likely another matter , admittedly one to be concerned with.

Perhaps make a bootable Memtest86 USB flash drive and run a RAM test to a few /several hours....if it gives any errors, that is a cause for concern.

laurencewithau

Honorable
Mar 13, 2016
Not enough info. Full system Specs? What were you doing when the system froze? What kind of temperatures are you getting?

We can't just guess what hardware you have or any of the other questions, help us out here.
Hi John. Sorry about that. It's a self-build desktop with Windows 10.

It was built last year.
The CPU fan started making a start-up racket over the last few days . Then it settles down and just makes funny little noises now and then.
Over that time I've lost some documents,, had the PC freeze on me yesterday so that I had to power it down by keeping my finger on the button until the fans stopped and there was a proper shutdown.
It's working again now.
When I went into task manager under processes there was zero CPU usage.
Just now I opened my very greedy PowerDirctor editing suite first..
It's taking about 22% usage from the CPU .
My worry is that the CPU fan may break or deteriorate in performance without my noticing in time to stop the units overheating. Would there be a warning displayed?
Also, I would like to add extra fans.
There's plenty of room inside the case but I don't know how to set about it. No doubt I'll go online.
Should I replace the fan?
I have to admit it's making hardly any noise at the moment.
As regards temperatures and so on, the CPU speed is given as about 4 GHz, temperature is 33C, motherboard is 35C.
Perhaps the heatwave here in UK has a lot to do with it.
Thanks for getting back to me
Cheers, Laurence

It is quite normal for a large number of ~100-120+ processes within Task Manager to reflect 0% usage at most times....

As for your PC freezing, that is likely another matter , admittedly one to be concerned with.

Perhaps make a bootable Memtest86 USB flash drive and run a RAM test to a few /several hours....if it gives any errors, that is a cause for concern.

Solution