CPU increase in GHz

JPhillips77

Prominent
Jul 26, 2017
Can I increase the GHz for my CPU, desktop Acer all in one? I need to increase from 1.60 to 2.1 for a work from home job...Please help :) TIA

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Probably not. To increase clock speeds, you'll (generally) need to increase voltage (which is overclocking). Added voltage = more heat. It's unlikely the BIOS would allow you to overclock, so it's probably a moot point. Considering more voltage = more heat and the fact All in Ones can barely cool their stock components, it's just a bad idea all round.

Which all in one do you have specifically? The only Acer AIO I know of with a 1.6GHz CPU is an N3150 ..... which actually "boosts" to 2.08GHz (ie 2.1GHz), which should be sufficient for the requirements of this home job.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The N3150 will "burst" to 2.08 GHz as necessary (single core performance, I believe)
http://ark.intel.com/products/87258/Intel-Celeron-Processor-N3150-2M-Cache-up-to-2_08-GHz

I've seen these kind of requirements for "at home" customer service-type jobs. Taking orders for pizza places etc.
If it's something remotely close to that type of work, they'll likely never verify. Those are the system requirements as given to them by the developers of any platform...... likely created years ago. 2.1GHz then vs 2.1GHz now (even on a lowly Celeron) are totally different animals.

JPhillips77

Prominent
Jul 26, 2017
I have to send a screenshot showing what mine is...after they see the screen shot and I'm approved, they will not check it anymore...just has to be "approved" before I can begin training. I just need someone's screen shot that has a faster one than me :p LOL

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
So they just need a picture of the windows info page showing your cpu and it's speed? right?
As a matter of fact there are dozens of cpus way slower than yours that run at higher clock speeds.
If you don't mind you could just send them a screenshot of one of our windows info pages.

JPhillips77

Prominent
Jul 26, 2017

Yes I could !! :) All I have left is this info page, I meet all the other requirements.

I think this: https://gyazo.com/7c10a0212e8207da367ad2ad2d5a884e should make them pretty happy.

Do promise us that if you get the job you'll put part of your first couple of paychecks towards a better pc that actually meets the criteria ;)
After all, it'll be a lot more enjoyable to work on too.