CPU Insane Downclocking

Jul 14, 2018
Okay, this is a weird one. I recently got a Lenovo Yoga 730 15 inch. It has an i5 8th gen U processor and a gtx 1050. To test the laptop's capabilities, I booted up Skyrim and SE and was going well for nearly a minute when my FPS started dropping from 60 to under 30 (sometimes 10 fps).

Logically, I assumed it was the GPU--clean installed drivers (and the OS when that didn't work)--did the whole deal. While monitoring with RivaTuner, I noticed that the GPU clock speed was remaining, but CPU was hitting 99%. Soooo...I enabled the CPU clock speed tracker, and low and behold, my CPU was reducing its clockspeed to below the base clock. It was literally floating between .4 and .7 Ghz.

The CPU wasn't even clearing 75 C, so thermal throttling wasn't an issue. I ran XTU (Windows was in High Performance mode the whole times) and no issues. Did a stress test and the CPU maintained a clockspeed of over 3 ghz for 5 minutes with regular ultrabook power throttling. Tried booting up another open world RPG (Dragon's Dogma) in GOG Galazy and had the same issue basically the same amount of time after starting the game. So for whatever reason, this device is downclocking my CPU to absurdly low levels.

I've ruled out:

-Power throttling
-Thermal throttling
(in both those cases the CPU would probably reduce to base speed, not under it)
-The individual games
-Drivers: Different Nvidia Drivers were tested + Intel is using the updated chipset.

I'm stumped. Thinking of sending the device back to Lenovo. Any ideas?

Update***

tried using battery power and restricing GPU power usage (in case it was hogging the total power available to the laptop). Same results. Ran the UnEngine Valley benchmark and had the same issue in about a minute--CPU downclocked to .4 GHZ and FPS dropped to 10-20.

Probably going to return the device as I think I got a dud (nobody on the reviews seems to have had the issue), but definitely interested in hearing any ideas or if someone had a similar experience.

Solution
Don't bother troubleshooting a new computer if it is under warranty. I know you would like to solve it quickly, but a pc should work right out of the box. I doubt the manufacturers will even troubleshoot it over the phone. They will just replace it.

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
Don't bother troubleshooting a new computer if it is under warranty. I know you would like to solve it quickly, but a pc should work right out of the box. I doubt the manufacturers will even troubleshoot it over the phone. They will just replace it.

Solution