Question CPU instability during Windows Backup

JayGau

Commendable
Dec 20, 2016
Hi guys,

I have a very strange issue for the last couple of days. I am trying to get my Ryzen 2700x to perform at the best it can and I thought I found a very good setting combination last week. I put performance enhancer to level 2, enabled precision boost overdrive and set the voltage to 1.35V (because with PE and PBO the core voltage easily reaches 1.5V, which is too high). With these settings I could achieve an impressive 98% percentile CPU score in UserBenchmark. Since my max temp was still a little bit high I tried to lower the voltage a little bit more (1.34V) but the computer crashed less than a minute after I logged in to Windows. When I say crashed I mean a black screen and no longer power on mouse and keyboard.

So I put it back to 1.35V and did several stress tests with CpuZ and Prime95, played Battlefield V and Just Cause 3, ran benchmarks (CPU, GPU and Drive) and everything was just fine for several days until... I launch a Windows backup on Saturday night. Five minutes after the backup started the computer crashed (same black screen and no power on mouse and keyboard). So I rebooted and launched it again and it finished without any problem. The next day, on Sunday night, the automatic backup started and I let it go to see if the Saturday crash was just an isolated bug but no... it crashed again after a few minutes.

My question is: how is it possible that the computer is perfectly stable under heavy gaming and stress tests but crashes during simple backups?

Could it be related to the RAM cache that is enabled on the backup drive? I am pretty sure that this option has nothing to do with the CPU core voltage and the drive is terribly slow without it.

I have to mention that I recently replaced my old Seagate Barracuda 2TB backup drive with a brand new one (only difference is the model that is DM008 instead of DM006) but I don't see why it would make the computer crash like that. However it's related to the Windows backup for sure or at least to long writing sessions on the HDD (it cannot be a coincidence that it only crashed twice in a week, both after 5 minutes of backing up).

My specs are:

Thermaltake Versa N21 Onyx Edition case
ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero
AMD Ryzen 2700x
NZXT Kraken X52 cooler
2x8 Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C16
Samsung 970 EVO Plus - 1TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (system drive)
Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM008 (backup drive)
Gigabyte GTX 1080
Corsair CX650 PSU

Thank you for any help you can provide about this strange problem.

Reactions: mosestule

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts