[SOLVED] CPU installation help for a Beginner!

TJS1986

Prominent
Jul 22, 2020
I am looking for a bit of help with installing a CPU correctly, Specifically the application of Thermal Paste! If anyone can explain or point me in the direction of a guide/manual, I would greatly appreciate it!!!
Thanks!

Solution
First of all, be very careful that you drop the processor in cleanly.
If you smoosh it around to seat it, you will damage socket pins with unpredictable symptoms.

In the end, paste methods matter little.
My method is to place a small rice sized drop in the center.
When the cooler is tightened down, the paste will spread out under heat and pressure leaving no air pits.

It is hard to use too little.
I'd say just go with an X pattern, but stopping short a few millimeters from the corners. Or apply a blob and spread it out using a credit card or similar until it covers the entire heat spreader. If you're using a Threadripper or one of Intel's HEDT processors, X pattern with dots in the middle of the quadrants.

At the end of the day, as long as the paste has spread to most parts of the heat spreader, it's fine. You can take off the cooler after mounting it to see how much its spread out and apply a smidge more if necessary.

Reactions: TJS1986

TJS1986

Prominent
Jul 22, 2020
I'd say just go with an X pattern, but stopping short a few millimeters from the corners. Or apply a blob and spread it out using a credit card or similar until it covers the entire heat spreader. If you're using a Threadripper or one of Intel's HEDT processors, X pattern with dots in the middle of the quadrants.

At the end of the day, as long as the paste has spread to most parts of the heat spreader, it's fine. You can take off the cooler after mounting it to see how much its spread out and apply a smidge more if necessary.
Thanks!
It is an Intel i9-10980XE

First of all, be very careful that you drop the processor in cleanly.
If you smoosh it around to seat it, you will damage socket pins with unpredictable symptoms.

In the end, paste methods matter little.
My method is to place a small rice sized drop in the center.
When the cooler is tightened down, the paste will spread out under heat and pressure leaving no air pits.

It is hard to use too little.

Reactions: TJS1986
Solution